The Pawn | Chapter Sixteen [Kakorrhaphiophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

Chapter Sixteen

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kakorrhaphiophobia – Fear of failure or defeat

----------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever felt like someone dumped a cold bucket of ice over your head and that bucket of ice somehow managed to seep into your pores and freeze your insides too? How about feeling like you're going to lose control of your bladder at the same second that your heart is going to implode? Okay, take those feelings and multiply it by a thousand. That's how I felt when I realized Lisa had snuck into NANO headquarters again and had a gun pressed against my head.

"Long time, no see, little sister," she chuckled lightly, pressing the gun harder into my temple. "Did you miss me?"

I was completely unable to form any sort of response, shocked as I was. There was no doubt in my mind that Lisa would pull the trigger, she just probably wouldn't be aiming at my head when she did. Either way, I was scared out of my mind and still trying to figure out how she had gotten in to my room; to be honest, how she had gotten into NANO...again.

"Are you really that surprised to see me?" she goaded. "Come now, surely you have something to say to me, your...sister." She knew referring to us as sisters bothered me. I hated being associated with her and her crimes because it made me feel dirty, even though I wasn't a part of her schemes.

I finally managed to get a bit of moisture back into my mouth and croaked out, "Why?"

"Well," Lisa scoffed, shifting her stance, "that's a loaded question, albeit a stupid one." She didn't expand any further on her answer, not that I thought she would. Instead, she leaned closer so that she could whisper in my ear, "How about we give your little boyfriend and his coworkers a nice welcome?" When I was slow to answer, due to the amount of shock I was going through, she pulled out another gun and pressed it into my back. "You're going to do exactly what I say, understand?"

"Sure thing!" I squeaked. Why did I always turn into a quivering mass of pathetic-ness whenever my sister showed up?

Keeping one gun pressed into my back and the other in her right hand, pointing in front of us in case someone came upon us, Lisa led me out of my room. She had me directed her to the nearest and largest conference room that I could think of and then once we were there she started yelling, "FAUX! Come out, come out wherever you are!" and then proceeded to put her gun straight up and shoot three times. I jumped from the sound, wishing I could hear more than just ringing. By the time I was back to my normal senses we could hear people running down the hallway.

Lisa maneuvered us so that I was facing the doorway with her standing behind me so that her back was against the wall. Soon enough people started filing into the room, one at a time, each with a handgun aimed straight at us. Awesome.

I could feel Lisa shivering with pent up excitement as the core of NANO made itself present. Once the room starting getting uncomfortable, Lisa let a small grin cross her face before saying softly, "Stop." Everyone froze and waited for Lisa's next instructions. I could tell she was loving the power she thought she had, ordering NANO agents around all because she had snuck past them and now had two guns.

"I only want certain people in this room, everyone else needs to leave and don't even think about trying some rescue mission. My team is placed throughout NANO right now and is awaiting my orders to attack should something go wrong," Lisa stated calmly. She waited until Faux reluctantly nodded at her before continuing. "Good," she said in a husky voice. "Now, the only people I want in this room are: Faux, Backer, Steele, Jennings, Havarti, Michaelson, the current head of the tech department (which just so happened to be Ted) and...Julian Storm," when I failed to hide the small gasp I took, Lisa dug the gun in harder and said casually, "well I guess you four can stay too," motioning at Jaz, Dash, Kyle and Dayna. She probably guessed that they were somewhat friends with me and having them here, in danger, would further torture me. She was right.