Chapter Five

Chapter Five

____________

I paced the room, waiting for Girec to arrive.

"I'm sure he's well," said Lucia, sitting on my bed. But I could see the worry in her eyes.

"I hope so," I whispered. After all, what would I do without Girec?

A footman knocked on the door. I opened it. "They've arrived." I pushed past him. Lucia was close behind.

"Please be well, Girec. Please," I whispered as I ran through the halls and down the main staircase.

"Where would they be?" I asked Lucia from behind as we arrived upon the main doors.

She shrugged. "We have an infirmary in town."

"Let's go get a carriage," I said. She didn't follow. "Come on."

"I'm not supposed to leave without the king's permission," she said quietly. "Tell me if he's all right."

"Oh," I said. "I feel badly, going without you, but . . . "

"Hurry, he's your brother, go."

I opened the door and my mouth dropped open.

"What is it?" Lucia asked.

"My brother," I gasped. "He's coming!" Girec was walking the path to the castle! And, if he was well enough to walk, then that was good enough to me!

"Where?" Lucia ran over to see. I pointed to his vague outline.

I ran to him, down the path. "Girec!" I called. He looked up, and his face broke out into a smile.

"Squirrel!" he shouted. I ran to him and gave him a big hug. "I didn't know you'd be here."

"I made a deal with Headmistress. I was so worried you were hurt. A messenger came . . . " I broke the hug. "You aren't hurt, are you?" I inspected him.

"I'm bruised and cut up, but I'm fine."

I saw a bruise under his eye, and a cut on his forehead. "I'm glad you are well." We started walking to the castle. "What was that dark force in the north, anyway?"

His eyes darkened. "You heard, huh? Well, it's pretty serious. About two hundred of us went to check it out, to discover what it was. It approached like a shadow, all dark and blood-chilling. Then, it attacked, like a thousand men. It didn't seem to want to kill, however. Only ten died, yet it could've killed all of us with a blink of an eye. If it has eyes. I don't even know. It created . . . fear somehow. Men went mad, saying the . . . dark force had shown them their worst fear. Fortunately, I wasn't one of those men. But it had no substance that we could find. We couldn't defeat it."

"Why does it need to be defeated anyway?" I asked. "If it doesn't bother anyone, then we should just leave it alone, so no one gets hurt."

"We think it's preparing to siege. It has wiped out towns, and people have been evacuating. It's set up its own land. A dark country."

On that happy note, I tried to change the conversation. "I've met the prince," I said. "And the princess. She and I are good friends."

"Really?" Girec perked up.

"Ha!" I said. "I knew it! There's something going on between you and Lucia! Why didn't you tell me?"

"What?" Girec said, but his voice rose in pitch.

"I know you're lying. What's going on?"

"She's beautiful, Evie, and I adore her  . . . " He sighed.