Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One
__________________

"Wake up, Lady Fendway," I heard outside my tent. It was Sam, the bandit with the curly blond hair.

"Very well," I said. "Wait a few moments!" I felt sore all over as I stood up.

"Fine, " he said, "but we're going to be leaving soon, so you'd better hurry."

I tightened the laces on my dress, and, finding Jax's dagger among my things, used it to cut off the excess fabric of the sleeves that reached the ground. I noticed a jagged cut on my arm, a fresh wound from my fall. I supposed there were more where that came from. A ridiculous thought of my appearance entered my mind, but I shrugged it off. Why should I start caring now what I looked like? Who was there to impress?

But, despite those thoughts, I found myself attempting to fix my hair back with a strip of the fabric into a thick braid. I smoothed my dress and walked out the tent, in a way that I hoped looked dignified.

The men served breakfast in a line to the fire, above which a pot of porridge was cooking. I stood in line.

Liam walked over holding a bowl. "Here," he said.

I didn't accept it. "Just because I'm a lady does not mean I will accept speacial treatment," I said, loud enough for the bandits to overhear. "I can wait in line."

Liam didn't respond, but I could see a look of approval in his eyes. I'd said the right thing.

We walked to the bandit camp. My leg felt heavy as lead, but I didn't complain. I could wasn't going to give Liam the satisfaction of my weakness.

After a few hours, we arrived at the camp. I was surprised at its organization, with seven building made from logs and one made from stone. Banners displaying the bandits' sign was everywhere, as if it were bursting with equality. I was also surprised at how many people there were. At least two hundred! And Sam told me hundreds more supported the cause, but did not attend the illegal activities.

But nothing surprised me more than when I recognized someone in the crowds.

Headmistress.

Sam saw my expression. "Yes, many are surprised at how many women are involved. That's Lady Idena. She's been part of our organization for years. She an exemplar spy."

My jaw dropped. That explained why Headmistress had been spying on the meeting! She had no son. She might not even be a Headmistress! I felt a little dizzy. How many people had lied to me?

A lute started up, and the bandits cheered; a little bit of music altered the mood drastically. Some men grabbed the few young women their were and pulled them into a dance. It was a dance in which each man would dance with the girl, lift her in the air, and she would go to the next partner.

Sam offered me his hand.

I raised an eyebrow. "I thought people didn't like dancing with witches."

He blushed. "You heard that?"

"How could I not? You bandits were louder than anything."

"Come on, join the dance," he said. "There's not enough girls."

"No."

"Well, if you're not my partner, you'll be dragged into the dance by someone else." He tipped his head towards a man nearby who was scratching himself in the wrong places. "Or you could go with me. You're the only girl left."

I glared at him. "Fine."

Sam smiled and pulled me into the dance.

The wild tune and steps made me dizzy.