Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four
__________________

I sent the letters with a messenger and hired a different carriage, with money from Ava, who was happy to see me leave. I left one last letter for my other sisters, letting them know I was well and missed them. Ava said she'd send it to Fendway. I briefly wondered who the replacement Headmistress was, since Lady Idena was . . . well, I didn't want to think about what happed to Lady Idena.

I arrived in Velia a little early and made my way to the local tavern. I got a room, and waited there for Liam to come.

If he does not come, I thought. I'll leave without him, in two hours' time.

I waited the two hours out, and Liam did not arrive. My heart pounded in my chest. Had the shadow gotten to him? Was he unwell? It bothered me that I cared so much.

I waited around an extra hour, telling myself that he would come. I sketched to pass the time, trying not to think of all the horrid things that could have happened to him. Could he have gone mad with fear? I don't remember falling asleep, but I awoke to a knock on the door, and a voice.

"Lady Fendway?" it said. "Please, please be well. Open the door. If this is a trick, I swear, I'll--I'll."

I waited an extra minute for Liam to get even more frightened. Serves him right, I thought, for worrying me.

"Oh, Evelin," he said, causing my heart to beat quickly. That was the first time he'd ever called me by my first name. "Please."

I walked over to the door and opened it. Liam had his head against the nearby wall, as if he was extremely troubled. He saw the door and straightened immediately.

"Lady Fendway!" he snapped angrily. "Why did you not open the door? You made me think something had happened to you!"

I raised a brow. "I did not know you cared so much."

He glared at me. "Oh, just let me in!"

I opened the door wider. "I was asleep, just so you know."

His shoulders relaxed a bit. "I suppose you've been tired lately, with all the stress of this. I'm sorry. I am probably not helping."

I shook my head. "No, I was just bored. What took you so long? I waited for hours. The apothecary isn't far from here."

"I was not at the apothecary," Liam said. "I went to a witch in my home town, trying to gather more information about the Enchanters to help. I rode as fast as I could."

I sat down on the bed in the tiny tavern's room. "Very well, I suppose that is a good excuse. Are your men well?"

His expression darkened. "Some."

"Is Lady Idena unwell?"

He shook his head. "That woman can survived anything."

I agreed. "Now, let's figure out what we are going to do tonight."

He leaned against the wall. "What did you find out?" he asked.

I noticed how uncomfortable he seemed against the wall. I scooted over on the bed. "You probably were traveling for a while. You can sit down." I patted the space beside me.

"It's not necessary."

I groaned. "Just sit down. You are going to need to be at your peak of health if we are going to break into the castle today."

His eyes widened, and he sat beside me. "We are going to break into Castle Velia? That's impossible!"

I rolled my eyes. "My friend Lucia is back from her cousins'. I sent a note to her, asking her to let us in."