Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six
__________________

"Liam," I said as I came up on the decks. "I am going to gather the stiriae, elves, and faeries. You cannot. You've never even been there before."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Liam said.

"Well, I do," I said. "And I'm the Enchanta, so I'll decide." I looked out at the west. Havane was lurking there, a misty sort of sight covering it. "We're almost there, anyway."

"We'll go together, then," Liam said.

I crossed my arms across my chest. "Fine," I relented.

We arrived at the shore, and Liam tied the boat to a tree. Lucia sniffed and wished us farewell, saying she'd use her Enchantments if anything came near the sailboat.

The troll took off to the west, the merrow to the south, and Liam and I headed north, to the elves.

"Watch out for the wyverns," I told Liam. "One almost killed me last time."

"That reminds me," Liam said. He held out his sword. "If we get into danger, I want you to have this."

I rolled my eyes. "I have no idea how to fight with a sword. It'll do more harm than good. Besides, then you'd die.

"I'm not the Enchanta," he pointed out.

"Just stay next to me, then," I said. "Too bad you aren't the Enchanta, though. You'd be a better one than me."

Liam shook his head. "I am not half as brave as you are."

"Perhaps it is just the Enchanta part of me that makes me that way," I said.

"I don't think so," Liam said. "Lucia said she thinks Enchantments only start to form in people once they are old enough to handle them. And you have always been brave. Remember that one time when I dared to you to climb the apple tree?"

I shook my head.

"I'll tell it to you then," he said. "When I was thirteen, Girec was fourteen, and you were ten, you kept on following around Girec, and Girec was sick of it. I didn't mind you much, but Girec did. So I told you that you could only follow us around if you climbed the tallest apple tree on my father's estate. And you did. You climbed it all the way to the top, and then threw apples at us as we passed underneath."

I grinned. "Thanks for starting my career as a squirrel."

"My pleasure," he said.

"However," I continued, "that wasn't bravery, that was recklessness."

He rolled his eyes. "If you say so, Lady Fendway." Oh, so he was back to calling me by my proper name.

"Why do you insist on doing that, Liam?" I asked.

"What?" he said.

"Call me by my official name. I don't care if you call me 'Evelin,'" I replied.

"Which would you rather? Or would you prefer to be 'Squirrel?'"

Squirrel reminded me too much of Girec. "Not Squirrel. Either Evelin or Evie. No one has called me that in a while," I said, a little bit of homesickness entering my voice. I missed my sisters. They'd called me Evie a lot.

"Very well, Evie," he said softly.

We walked in, I admit, companionable silence.

Until we came upon a pond. I did not remember it from my last visit.

At the edge of the pond, a beautiful horse sipped from the water. It was black all around, like shimmering ebony, with fur that looked newly brushed. I immediately wanted to ride it. I could see myself flying through the wind on its back, my hair blowing around me. I started toward it, then stopped. I noticed a wild look in its eyes, and little pieces of seaweed were caught in its black mane.