Chapter Twenty-Three

__________________

An hour later, I was cleaned, given a new set of clothes, and had my hair and cosmetics done expertly. I laughed at myself in the mirror.

I barely recognized myself. The dress was padded, making my figure much less scrawny. The cosmetics made me look older, and my hair was coiled atop my head. I looked . . . old.

"Do you not like it?" the seamstress asked nervously.

"No, it's perfect," I said. I handed her the money. "Thank you."

I walked out the door awkwardly in my tall shoes. I decided to enter the apothecary and pretend to be a customer, to test my disguise.

I opened the door. Liam was still at the counter, drinking a glass of water. "Hello," I said, raising the pitch of my voice a little.

"Oh, hello Lady Fendway," he said.

I frowned.

"Don't worry, almost no one would be able to tell it's you. I'm just . . . " He uncomfortably looked to the ground, then back at me. " . . . good at that sort of thing."

"Good." I struck a dramatic pose. "Do I look beautiful?"

He shrugged and looked away, the tips of his ears reddening ever so slightly.

I raised my eyebrows. "Well?"

"Oh, come on," Liam said. "You are Girec's sister! What am I supposed to say to that?"

"I've seen you dance with my sisters plenty of times," I grumbled.

"Fine, you look beautiful. Does that satisfy you?" he said.

He was being entirely sarcastic, but I flushed a little. "I want your opinion."

"Very well. I think you looked better before. Now you are covered in cosmetics, and you look like a pompous woman of court. Happy?"

I nodded. "Yes. Well, farewell. I'm going to Merth now."

"Um . . . Lady Fendway?"

I stopped. "Yes?"

He walked over to me and gave me a hug. I blushed furiously and stood there awkwardly.

He broke the hug. "If I don't come back from the north, give that to my family." He walked past me and out the door, leaving me to stand there with reddened cheeks.

I shook my head, dazed, and walked out the door to find a carriage.

Liam had already found one, and he paid the driver. "Oh, there is Lady Roche now. Take her to Merth, please."

"Yes, sir," the driver said, straightening his cap. He gave me a hand up to the carriage and closed the door. As we took off, I looked back and saw Liam mounting his horse. I felt a prickle of fear for him, which surprised me.

I'm only concerned because he is Girec's friend, I told myself.

But Liam turned his head at the last moment, and we locked eyes. He nodded at me, a determined look in his eyes. I gave a little smile, and he took off on his horse. I hoped he'd be well.

The carriage arrived at an inn that evening, and in the morning, we took off again.

After another day, I could see Ava's new house in the distance. I paid the driver, and he flicked the reins, taking off.

I stared up at my sister's house and butterflies fluttered in my stomach. How would Ava react to my appearance? Apparently, Ava thought me dead. I knocked on the door, and a servant opened.