Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten
_______________

"Where should I sleep tonight?" I asked Nimue.

"I'll stay with you above the water and keep watch as you sleep."

"I don't want you watching me sleep," I said. I'd only just met him, after all.

"Suit yourself," he said. "But don't get mad at me if you awake to a naiad pulling you into the lagoon to drown."

"Fine," I said. "But stay at least ten feet away from me."

I climbed a tree and tried to go to sleep. But it was awkward, knowing Nimue was right there. I pulled a stick from off of a branch and walked over to where he was sitting. I drew a line in the dirt.

"Promise me that you will stay on your side of the line during the night, unless I am in danger."

He looked at the line, then up at me. "I promise."

Satisfied, I walked over to my branch and laid back down. I heard his voice.

"But know that I would not dishonor you, promise or no promise. Merrow are always honorable."

"Are they always annoying when someone is trying to sleep?" I asked, even though I was smiling in the dark.

"No," he replied teasingly. "Only me."

The next morning, I prepared to meet the king. "Are you ready?" Nimue said.

I looked into the water. It looked shallow and vacant, but I knew better. "Yes."

"Very well. Hold on to me again so I can take you there more swiftly."

I grabbed onto his shoulders, and, once again, the water was a blur as he took me to the bottom of the lagoon.

We swam to the palace. It astonded me, the way the coral towers gsparkled and glimmered in the sunlight through water. I floated along, with Nimue's hand around my wrist, as I stared in awe at everything around me. The overcrowding issues became more evident the closer we got to the palace. Stone dwellings were nearly on top of each other. Some reached as high as five stories to accomodate for all the people.

It was strange, not being able to talk or make noise as I walked along. I bet Coten would've appreciated this silence from me. I sucked on the Aquweed loudly, and no sound came out. I assumed that a pocket of air prevented me from speaking or floating to the top.

"There is a concert tonight," Nimue said. "What you humans call opera. Would you like to attend?"

I shrugged. Maybe, I mouthed. It depended on whether or not I had enough Aquweed to last me through.

Nimue led me into the palace gates. Merrow lifted eyebrows at the sight of me, but no one questioned Nimue when he said, "I have orders from the king." I assumed loyalty was important to the merrow.

We winded around hallways and staircases. The inside was very open. The frequent windows were just gaps in the walls, without any glass. I could always see the towns of merrow, from wherever I was in the palace.

I could tell when we arrived upon the throne room. Although no doors blocked the way, the entryway arch was elaborate, shaped into shells and stars.

The king sat on a throne in the middle of the room. Two people were speaking to her.

"There isn't enough space for the new arrivals," one adviser was saying.

"What should we do?"

"Leave the matter for later. I have more pressing concerns. Please leave."

They left at once, and the king turned to us. Her skin had a hint of blue, and her hair was flowy and silver, pulled back. A simple silver circlet with a blue gemstone encircled her head. Her eyes shined the most pure ocean blue I'd ever seen. It was impossible to not notice them. Or the dark circles under them. Or the fact that she looked so young. About twenty-five or so.