Chapter 14..... We meet again....

I am switching the story from third to first person so there will be instances of the two points of view.  

I dressed in a sleeveless floral top and black shorts which I matched with a pair of heeled open toe ankle boots. I had decided that if my parents wanted me to meet a guy then why not. Maybe I needed a distraction after all. Work had been too stressful ever since the O'Connor incident. I had visited the salon earlier that day and now I stared at my new pixie cut. It made me feel very chic. I had decided to lighten my shade of red and for once my unruly red curls looked good even if they were still messy.

My mother was not ready when I arrived so I sat with my dad on the sofa as he watched a rerun of "Steptoe and Son".

"Rhee will you pack the muffins in a bag and the bottle of wine as well!" my mother shouted from her bedroom.

"Sure mom!" I responded getting up to go to the kitchen.

My mother had made three boxes of her famous blueberry muffins. Wow, this person had really made an impression for these muffins were only made for special people. I packed the muffins carefully and placed them in a bag with the bottle of vintage wine. My parents appeared to want to make a big impression on these people. Whoever they were I hope I would have a good time.

The drive to the'new neighbour' was a talkative one. My father had smartly turned the radio to his favourite frequency as he entered the front seat of the car. My mother in the backseat had engaged me in conversation for the past 10 minutes.

"So Mom what is this lady's name?" I asked curious to know more about my hosts.

Take the first turn at the roundabout to exit onto the M11 motorway. The GPS tracker said. 

My dad had put in the address and I had not really paid attention to the destination until now. I looked at the GPS screen we were heading to Surrey!

"Mom, why are we using the motorway, I thought this 'new home' was in your neighbourhood." My mother looked at my dad and I noticed her look in the rear view mirror. Something was up?

"Oh her name is Olivia. She is just so friendly." My mother responded.

Keep left then take the exit to Surrey. The GPS continued.

"Mom why are we heading to Surrey? Where are we going? This is definitely not in your neighbourhood." I questioned my curiosity piquing towards annoyance. What were they keeping from me?

"Well, technically it is the same country so it is in the same neighbourhood." My mother replied cautiously.

"Mom, where did you meet her?" I then asked. Again my mother glanced at my father who was listening to the radio and staring out of the window. It seemed he had left the explaining to her and he was not helping to get her out of the hole she had built for herself.

"We met through her son, it was quite accidental. We were shopping at that new DIY outlet. The one in Kent and we bumped into her and her son. It was a total surprise. Since then we have met for tea and coffee even played some cricket. Her son even came over last Saturday with his mother for a visit." My mother rambled on. I was very curious now as to who this 'woman and her son' could be.

"Is that it? What is her son's name?" my mother leaned back in her seat. She fiddled with her bag.

"Mom? Dad?" My father looked at me and smiled shyly.

"Ask your mother, I told her this was a bad idea but she insisted it was the only way." He said turning to look at my mother disapprovingly, who had suddenly become silent.