chapter 6: without knowing

Third POV:

Orihime felt strange as she saw Rukia walk away from them. She wondered what could have been happening with her best friend.

She turned to face Ichigo as he said,"Oh well don't you think we should hurry too? We really don't want to be late, we could get detention or something."

Orihime nodded in approval as they both began to speed walk. Orihime couldn't help but wounder if Ichigo really wanted to get to school early or if he was trying to avoid her question. She knew that he didn't like her but her stubborn heart wouldn't listen.

When the two finally got to school Orihime noticed that Rukia was sitting at her desk with her head down. What could be wrong with Kuchik-san, she thought. As she went to ask her, she was startled by the sound of the bell that alerted the teacher to begin class. Through out the whole class Ichigo tried to get Rukia's attention. He threw wads of paper and hissed her name while doing so.

"Ichigo you are interrupting the class right now. Since you usually don't cause trouble I won't send you to the principals office. On the other hand, this will be your first and final warning." demanded the teacher, making the class snicker. Ichigo just nodded his head as he focused back on the lesson. Rukia's head shot up as she heard the class snicker. She wondered what had happened as she was lost deep in thought.

A while later all of the students went to lunch. The group of friends all gathered at their usual spot. They talked and laughed but Rukia just starred at her lunch quietly listening to the others enjoying their time. She was interrupted as she felt a thump on her forehead. She noticed it was Ichigo as he asked," Why are you so quiet Rukia?"

"Ichigo, earlier today when you had got in trouble, were you trying to get my attention?" She questioned. Ichigo stood there thinking of what he should respond. He knew that if he told her the truth she would feel responsible so he lied.

"I was trying to get Orihime's attention because I had a question for her," he said while rubbing the back of his head. Her lips let out a small "oh" as she gave an embarrassed laugh. Feeling a presence behind him, Ichigo turned coming face -to-face with Orihime.

"What were you going to ask me Kurosaki-kun?"

"Oh um, a question about the assignment we have in history."he quickly lied. Technically it wasn't a lie since he didn't pay enough attention in class, although that'd never been a problem before with Rukia to help him.

"Sure! Did you want to work on it together?" Asked Orihime. She squealed as Ichigo replied yes and walked away to go finish her lunch. Glancing back at Rukia, Ichigo spotted her sitting with Renji with a blank face. He felt a bit angry looking at them. He ignored the feeling as he sat down with the others.

He wondered what was going through the small Shinigami's head. He was determined to find out what had been bothering his friend all this time. His thoughts were interrupted by the others letting him know it was time to go back to class. The time passed it was finally time for them to go go home.

Ichigo ran to catch up to Rukia. They both began to walk home enjoying the peaceful quiet. The peace was interrupted by a high pitched squeal.

"Ichigo do you want to come over now so I can help you with the assignment?"asked Orihime. Ichigo didn't wan't to go because he wanted to find out what was bothering Rukia but he had no choice other then go along with his lie.

"Oi, Rukia can you tell the old man, Yuzu, and Karin that I will be home late?"he asked as he began to walk away. Rukia shot up a thumbs up as she began to walk home.

Rukia's POV:

I shot a thumbs up to Ichigo as we went our separate ways. I had decided that I would go back to the soul society. I know now that it wasn't my fault Ichigo got in trouble yet something tells me he was lying. He now has Orihime so he won't need me by his side. Renji is here so he will be able to help him with the hollows. I will leave without him knowing how I truly feel. When I got to Ichigo's house I informed Yuzu and the others that Ichigo would get home late since he went with Orihime. I also told them that I would leave for some time to visit my brother.

"Wow Rukia I didn't know you had a brother. I understand, though I hope you come back home soon so you can taste my cooking. Stay for a while so you can eat dinner then you can leave," stated Yuzu. I gave a smile as I followed Yuzu and Karin to the kitchen. It was getting late as I finished my dinner so I decided it was time. I felt a shiver go up my spine as the night breeze blew. I was walking to Urahara's shop hoping he would open the Senkaimon.