chapter 12: the carnival

Ichigo's POV:

I tossed around in my bed as I starred at the ceiling. I woke up extra early this morning. It was unusual for me to wake up this early on the weekend. I am a very lazy person and no one could ever change that. Looking at my clock, I groaned in irritation. I can't even sleep past ten.

What can I do to make up for my actions? If only I knew why Rukia was upset, it's obviously something important. I should know shouldn't I? All of the sudden I felt something soft hit my face. I threw the pillow on the floor as I looked towards the direction it came from. Rukia was standing in the middle of the room rubbing her eyes with her hand.

"Isn't it too early for you to be awake?" she questioned while letting out a yawn. I smiled mentally as I observed her bed hair and her groggy morning voice.

"Yeah it is," I chuckled. Rukia walked over to my bed and sat down at the corner farthest from me. As she slouched her back, the sunlight that came in through the curtains reflected off her skin. I glared at her, fighting the smile that tried to make its appearance, as I saw how the sun highlighted her raven hair, making it appear even darker.

"Are we going to go eat then?" Rukia asked, jumping onto her feet, her voice snapping me out of the trance I was in. "Yeah." Hoping she hadn't noticed how I'd just been staring at her, I lead the way downstairs.

"Good morning Ni-Chan and Rukia," greeted Yuzu as we joined them at the table. Yuzu served us some breakfast as Rukia and Karin made small talk. It was a pretty descent morning other then when my idiot father tried to attack me. Using my quick instincts I was able to dodge it.

"What will you and Ichigo do today?" Yuzu asked Rukia. I finished eating my breakfast waiting for Rukia to reply.

"The usual I guess," she stated with a small chuckle. Usually Rukia and I would walk around the park and just talk and wait for hollows. I can't do that today I have to make this day special for her. I have to make up for leaving her and causing her trouble. Still what could I do that would amaze Rukia?

"You know there's a carnival in town today." Yuzu stated, glancing at me hopefully . As I looked over to Rukia, her eyes were full of curiosity. I mentally pictured a light bulb blinking on top of my head.

"Can we go?" Yuzu asked excitedly.

"Of course we can! This would be an excellent family trip! I'll do anything for the three of my precious daughters to be happy," dad exclaimed. Great. The old man's gonna make sure to get more of Rukia and I together.

"Rukia and I have to do something today. We won't be able to go," I said without thinking. Rukia glared at me with a questionable look. After arguing with my family about this family trip they finally gave up and let Rukia and I go. After we changed into casual but nice street clothes, Rukia and I headed towards the park.

As we sat on the park bench Rukia's face had a bored plain expression. I had everything planned for the most part. As I looked around I spotted an old lady with a cart full of sweets.

"Come on, Rukia." I said heading in the vendor's direction.

"Why? We just ate." she said slowly trailing behind me.

"What, I get hungry fast. This soul reaping thing drains calories you know."

"I didn't think you knew what calories were." Rukia teased, jabbing me in the ribs lightly.