chapter 8: by my side

Third person POV:

As Rukia laid in her bed, she was awaken by beams of lights that came from the closet's cracks. She laid there feeling the warmness until she remembered it was a school day. She rushed as she changed into her uniform and bursted out the closet. She stopped as she notice Ichigo was still sleeping. The appearance of his face made her heart beat rapidly.

He looks so peaceful without the usual bored expression, she thought. Snapping out of her thoughts, she grabbed her pillow from the closet. She threw the pillow as hard as she could towards Ichigo. She expected him to yell at her but he just sat up and glared at her. For a couple of seconds they both stood there just looking each other.

"Hurry up you idiot were going to be late for school," Rukia scolded before she walked out the room. Ichigo quickly changed into his uniform and followed Rukia down stairs. After a quick breakfast with his family, Ichigo and Rukia hurried off to school. He couldn't help but notice that the walk was strangely quiet, though he didn't talk much Rukia usually kept up a stream of comments or questions that she still had about the human world.

"Damm it Ichigo we are going to be late," Rukia whined, glancing at her phone before sprinting down the sidewalk. Without really knowing why Ichigo smiled taking off after her, catching up in a few short strides.

"Well make it if you would run faster you slow poke," responded Ichigo. Rukia took that as an insult so she began to run as fast as she could. Before they knew it, they were racing each other. It didn't take too long when they finally arrived at school. Both Ichigo and Rukia were sweating and panting like dogs.

"Told you we'd make it," panted Ichigo. Rukia was out of breath so she just gave him a smirk. They both made there way to there seats as everyone starred at them. What are they looking at? wondered Rukia. She took her seat and didn't pay attention at what the others were saying. Ichigo did the same.

"Oi, Rukia why are you so sweaty and why is your clothes messed up?" questioned Renji. Rukia knew she was sweaty but she didn't notice the untidiness of her clothes. She quickly fixed them knowing now what the others were whispering about.

"I'm sweaty because Ichigo and I had to run to school since he decided to sleep in. My clothes got messed up as I raced him," yelled Rukia making sure everyone heard her. She didn't want them getting the wrong thoughts.

Renji bursted out in laughter. He found it funny but adorable how the small Shinigami panted like a dog. He found it even more hilarious how she worried so much about being early to school.

"What's so funny you idiot?" Ichigo questioned Renji looking at him expectantly. Renji suddenly stopped laughing. Rukia and Orihime gave a small chuckle. As Ichigo and Renji were about to begin arguing the bell rang beginning class.

Although normally a vigilant student, Rukia found her thoughts wandering. He seemed so different this morning. Why didn't he yell at me when I threw the pillow? All he did was smile. His smile is .....

"Oi Rukia, are you paying attention?" whispered Renji interrupting Rukia from her thoughts.

"Huh, y-yeah," lied Rukia while giving a faint smile. The two focused back on the lesson. Ichigo was also struggling to pay attention like Rukia.

Orihime accused me of liking Rukia but is it possible she is right? When she went back to the Soul Society the first time, I thought I'd lost her. At the time I convinced myself that I only saved her because I owed her my life and because she is my friend but was there another reason? Ichigo wondered, so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice the class leaving for lunch.