Chapter Four

The rest of the lesson went very well.

If the definition of well was Esme hitching her dress up her thigh inch by inch until it became nothing more than a belt and squeezing Newt's leg every time he said anything even remotely amusing, scrunching up her eyes and expelling a tinkling laugh.
If the definition of well was getting ignored by Newt, no matter how many times your finger tip met the leather of his jacket in an instant series of pokes.
If the definition of well was not finishing the work and getting scolded while the whole class listened.

If that was the definition of well then the lesson went brilliantly.

As soon as the bell rang you shoved all of your things unceremoniously into your bag and had it over your shoulder before the others had even capped their pens. You walked swiftly from the room, ignoring Olly and Mickey's calls;
tears threatened to spill from your eyes but you scrunched them tightly together; your eyes the window, your eyelashes the bars.

Was that all you really meant to him? In the Glade he'd made you feel loved, special even. But now the first pretty face he came across and bam. It's like you didn't even exist anymore.
You furiously wiped tears from your cheeks.
Stupid boys and their stupid promises and their stupid lies and the stupid why they look at you.

Your next lesson was Crank History. None of your friends had it and for that you were grateful. You needed an hour or so to wallow in self pity. Dear God, if all the lessons were going to be as heartbreaking and monotonous as that you were stealing Gally's truck and driving home.
Home.
Where you and Newt lived.
Where you lived with the boy you loved with every essence of your being but had just been rudely shut out by.

As you reached the doorway you stopped and took a moment to compose yourself, dragging the back of your hand across your eyes, taking a shaky breath and adjusting your bag.
You wrapped your fingers around the cool handle and pushed; the door yielded and you stepped through the threshold.

There were only three people sitting in the class and seeing as you knew none of them you plodded across the room to the very back corner as far away from civilisation as possible. You even went to the extreme of pulling your desk further toward the wall.

As the class began to fill up you slouched even further in your seat letting your hair fall in front of your face and tried to blend into the scenery.
The chair next to you made a dull scraping sound as it was dragged back and occupied. The person who had sat in it obviously could not feel the vibes of pure anger radiating off you.
"Can I sit?" A husky voice asked.
You looked up to see Chase grinning down at you. You quickly flipped your hair over your shoulder and offered what you hoped was a dazzling smile.
"Sure." You moved your things across the desk to make room for his.
Chase's leg brushed against your's as he adjusted himself in his chair and you got a whiff of his cologne.
Damn, did that boy smell good.

"So," he began, "How are you finding school so far?"
"It's okay." you lied, "Even if I see no point in trigonometry in a world as messed up as this."
He breathed out a laugh and instead of looking at you he seemed to look through you.

The teacher came in and got everyone settled, beginning the lesson with a brief introduction.
"You didn't text me." Chase whispered indignantly, "I gave you my number."
"I haven't had time." You replied.
He smirked, "You've got time now."
"We're in class, Chase." You chided.
"I can see that Y/n. Come on sugar, chuck me a text." He playfully nudged you as you rolled your eyes.

He's already proving a bad influence and I've only known him ten minutes.

You grabbed your phone and entered his number, typing a simple 'hi' before sliding your mobile into your pocket.
A moment later his phone vibrated softly and he pulled it out, smiling and keying in a message before sliding it back into the fabric of his jeans.
You checked yours to find a new message.
"Hey sugar. You've got pen on your face, by the way."

You blushed a wiped your face, smiling at the name he'd already stapled to you.
You typed a response and waited for him to reply.

The rest of the the lesson went very much the same as that.
You and Chase sending messages between the two of you, taking notes in between waiting for the other to reply.

Before you knew it the bell had gone and the mad scramble for the lunch queue had begun.
"See you later." You called behind you as you walked from your desk.
"Text me sometime." He shouted after you.
You poked your head around the door, "If I feel like it."
You heard him chuckle.
"Bye sugar."

-

You walked glumly to the lunch hall; getting closer and closer to Newt with every step. All those memories clashed against each other in your head.
What an attractive, loving, perfect ass your soulmate was.

As you entered the room you were affronted by sounds. Cliques lounged in the chairs, laughing and joking. Friends sitting close, whispering and giggling. Couples staring in adoration at each other, kissing and holding hands.
It seemed strange that in a world so completely shucked up as this, all these normal things still continued.

You scowled at the ground, looking border line pugnacious as you searched for a place to sit.

You saw your friends from the corner of your eye. They'd managed to snag a table at the back of the room, slightly out of the way.
Newt was looking guiltily at his fries.
You walked over and sat in the only available seat between him and Olly.

"How was CH?" Olly inquired.
"It was okay, some of the pictures they showed us were grotesque." You grimaced.
"Think of having to see them in real life!" Mickey chortled, pinching a fry form Minho's plate and giggling when he frowned playfully at her.
If Minho wasn't as gay as Alec Lightwood they would have a made a pretty good couple. He obvious wasn't ready to come out yet, in fact, he was so far in the closet he could have been considered a permanent resident of Narnia.

Olly began an animated discussion with Gally about something they had watched in class.

This left you and Newt in an uncomfortable silence.

"So," he began tightly, "have you had a good day?"
This boy. Who does he think he is?
"Yes. Thank you." You replied curtly.
"Look, Y/n, I'm sorry for-"
"Just forget it, okay? I don't want to think about it." You bit your lip and looked down at the table, tracing an indentation.
"Okay." One word from him.
And a kiss.

Olly seemed to have sensed the lifted weight and spoke up: "I was wondering, Mickey and I share a house, it's got a pool so maybe you guys wanna come over after school?"
"Sounds great!" Gally immediately respond, "where'd you live?"
She wrote down her address and it turned out that she lived in the next street along from you.

"Great, so I'll see you all later? Is around six okay?"
"Around six is perfect."
You watched as Olly and Gally conversed. You'd only ever seen him look at one other person with such intensity.
You.
If Gally thought Olly was worth his attention you were glad; as much as you liked him, you thought of him as a brother and your interests were purely platonic.

Newt intwined your fingers and pushed his lips to yours.
For how can you stay mad at someone you'd risk your sanity for?

I SAW THE SCORCH TRIALS ON OPENING NIGHT AND IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Also it's my 14th birthday :)

I went to a fair with my friends last night and we got owl toys and went on loads of rides and took Tumblry pictures and it was so fun.

Please vote and comment! Thank you so much for over 1K reads already <3

You look radiant and I love you very much, bye Noses :) x