Chapter Seventeen

The wind whipped around you, stinging your eyes and tangling your hair. You stumbled up the beach, clambered up the dunes toward a little cave, the moonlight catching Mickey's hair.

You battled against the wind and were surprised that when you collapsed on the sand the other side of Olly, that the screaming of the wind was barely audible.

You sat there letting the sand flow through your fingers like water, the crashing of the sea quiet. Olly picked up your hand and dragged you closer to her, leaning her head against you. She felt so cold. Small and vulnerable

"I kissed him." She sighed, playing with a flying thread from Mickey's jumper.
"That's brilliant baby!" She smiled gently.
"As he had his lips on mine, he was kissing me and saying, 'I'm not in love with you Olly'. Because he's in love with you." She looked up at you with tears brightening her eyes.

"Gally doesn't love me, Olly, he hasn't for a long time." A breathy laugh escaped your lips, "I've never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at you, I've never seen him touch anyone like he touches you and I've sure as hell never seen him talk about anyone the way he talks about you. He loves you, Olly. He just doesn't realize it."

She looked at you for a minute, loose curls flying around her face before she sat up straight and wiped her eyes.
"I wanna get drunk. Call the guys, Gally included. Tell them to bring beer."
"I can drink to that." Mickey laughed, pulling Olly towards her.

-

Twenty minutes later the wind had calmed, the boys had pulled their jeep up and Minho had made a fire, the flames dancing in the breeze.

You bounded over to Newt, barefoot in the sand, and flung yourself into his arms, your hands going straight to his belt loops to pull him closer.
"I spoke to Chase."
"I spoke to Esme."
"I don't really want to talk about it." You bit your lip.

He slowly turned you around so your back was pressing into the passenger door of Gally's jeep, "Me either." He ducked his head down and slowly began kissing your neck, sucking lightly on your pulse. Your hands found his hair and twisted your fingers in his blonde curls.
He gently pressed his lips to the purple mark on your neck before ghosting his lips against yours.
"What do you want me to do to you, baby?" He asked, his voice husky.
"I'm pretty sure that what I want you to do to me is illegal on this beach." You muttered. He laughed against your lips, a loud, real sound that you'd missed.

"Alright love birds, let's end this before it get's too heated." Minho laughed.
Newt turned his head away from you to fix Minho with a stare.
"Minho my squire, you wouldn't be trying to cock-block me, would you old chap?
Minho grinned, wrapped his arm around Mickey and raised his bottle, "wouldn't dream of it."
Newt smirked and turned back to you "this would be so much more fun if we were both drunk."
"Agreed." You laughed, lightly pushing his shoulders so he swung back slightly before sliding off the truck and making your way over to the beer crate.

As you took a swig of the amber liquid Gally plodded over and threw himself onto the sand next to you.

"Love sucks and I hate it." he huffed, digging up a handful of sand before letting run through his fingers, settling back on the beach.

"Love only sucks because you're in it." you smiled softly, taking his calloused hand; his eyes darted up to meet yours briefly before darting back to your entwined hands. He furrowed his eyebrows and scrunched up his nose, his green eyes flashing in the firelight.

"Do you feel anything?" you whispered.

"What do you mean?" his eyes fluttered slightly, staring at you unsure.

"Do you feel anything? For me?" you squeezed his hand, "Do you love me, Gally?" you murmured.

He paused for a second, taking in your flushed cheeks and windswept hair. The shadows on your cheeks cast from your eyelashes and your slightly parted lips. "I don't love you, Y/N. I- I like Olly. I really like her. I don't know why I lied to her.