Chapter Nine

Newt's pov

Where the hell was she? I know she was out with Chase but I thought she'd be home by now.

My mind however kept travelling back to Esme, the way her eyes would linger on me for a few seconds longer then needed, the way she would grab my arm when she laughed, the way her lips brushed my cheek in the smallest of goodbye kisses.

I was suddenly torn from my revive by the front door opening. Y/n, walked through; her hair windswept and cheeks pink. A small smile danced across her lips.

"Where have you been?" I demanded. She looked up like she'd only just noticed me.

Her eyes turned as emotionless as slate.

"I could ask you the same thing." she chided, kicking the door closed with her heel.

"I'm not the one who got home at this hour!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in exasperation.

"I'm not four, Newt. I can take care of myself. When did you get back?" she shrugged out of her jacket and hung it up, then kicked her shoes off and looked at me expectantly.

"About an hour ago." Lie. I got in ten minutes ago. "were you out with Chase?"

"So what if I was? You arranged to meet up with Esme without telling me!"

"You didn't tell me about Chase!"

"Only because you didn't mention Esme!"

"She's a nice girl!" I defended.

" A nice girl? A nice girl? Newt can you even hear yourself?" she laughed incredulously.

"I'm not having this conversation with you when your acting like a child. I can go out if I want, Y/n. Come talk to me when you're ready to behave like an adult." I glared.

She looked at me for a while. Just looked. And then finally: "Fine. I'm going to bed. Don't you dare come and join me." she began walking up the stairs.

"Where am I gunna sleep?"

"We have two sofas. Take your pick." she said coldly, not even turning around to face me when she spoke.

Heavyhearted, I slumped onto the sofa, curling under a patchwork throw.

Bloody hell, what am I doing? This is the girl that I would, and have, risked my life for. And my sanity. 

Sanity.

What's the point in saying you're sane when you feel like you're going out of your mind?

Your pov

What a prat.

Couldn't he see how crazy you were for him?

You had risked your life for him, and you were willing to do it again. And your sanity.

Sanity.

What's the point in saying you're sane when you can't grasp one clear thought?

You changed into your pyjamas and climbed into bed, trying to find comfort in the stiff sheets and your empty body.

Tears pricked the back of your eyes but you pushed them away, it was just one silly argument, that was all.

The late evening sun shone brightly against the horizon, sending tingles through atmosphere's fingers and orange blazes of light through an acid-burn sky. But none of Paradise's residents saw it; they'd all seen too many sunsets, what they needed now was a sunrise.