Chapter Eighteen

"Has Newt asked you to the Dandelion Dance yet?"

"What the hell is a Dandelion Dance?"

"It's basically an event the school puts on at the beginning of spring, kind of like a prom just less free food. It's held at a swanky mansion in the Valley, quite posh really." Mickey leaned over your lunch table and grabbed one of your fries.

"No," you pouted, slapping her hand away, "he probably doesn't even know it's happening. We could all go stag though?" You suggested hopefully.

"No can do," Olly shook her head, "Gally already asked me." You and Mickey both simultaneously erupted in giggles and squeals. "Shut up shut up shut up!" Olly blushed, grinning as she playfully smacked you.

"I'm unavailable to go stag, too." Mickey idly picked up her drink and smirked over the glass.
Both you and Olly automatically dragged your chairs closer to her and lowed your voices.

"Who asked you?"
"You're leaving me for someone else?"
"Do we know them?"
"I've never felt so betrayed."

Mickey pointed a slender finger to a girl two tables down from you, "Cara."
You had to admit, Cara and Mickey together did strike you as somewhat of a power couple; Cara was a tall, dark skinned girl with black braids woven down her back. Her brown eyes darted over to your table, giving Mickey a small wave before turning back to her friends.
"Oh my God, you two are going to look so cute together I totally approve." Olly nodded seriously, putting another forkful of pasta into her mouth.
"Thanks, mom." Mickey rolled her eyes.

The end of lunch bell rang out just as you finished your fries; sighing, you walked with Mickey and Olly to the front of the canteen where you slid your empty trays onto the rack before bidding them goodbye.
Crank History your last lesson today, with school finishing early due to it being a Friday.

When you entered the classroom, Chase was already in his seat. He offered you a weak smile as you sat down next to him. You both sat there for a while fidgeting and trying to think of something to say.

"How- how have you been?" You asked weakly.
"Good, yeah I've been good. You?" He sat up straighter and lent back in her chair, a curly lock of hair falling into his face.
You had to resist the urge to reach out and push it back.

You opened your mouth to speak again but Chase cut you off, rubbing his hand across the back of his neck and flicking his hair from his face. "Look, I know this is going to be difficult, and awkward, and horrible but you know how I feel you and that isn't going to change or go away anytime soon but as long as you're okay with just friends, then so am I." He finished with a hopeful eye flick in your direction.
"Friends sounds great." You smiled gently back.

As the lesson dragged on, things got slightly better. Chase made a joke about how one of the cranks looked like 2007 Britney and things were suddenly as they had been.
He wished you goodbye as you walked out together and looked like he was going to say something else before stopping, giving you a quick smile and walking briskly away.

You walked out into the car park, blinking against the sun, looking for Newt.
He was lounged on the bonnet of his car, lean body stretched over the blue paint. You jogged over and slung your bag through the open window before lightly running your fingers over his jean clad thigh.

His eyes snapped open and he smiled; jumping down from the bonnet he gave you a quick kiss.
"I like that dress on you." He smirked, toying with one of the straps.
"Thanks." You grinned as his finger slid down your arm.

"I brought you something." He smiled delicately, reaching through the window to retrieve a box from the dashboard.
"Oh baby you didn't have to!" You exclaim, tapping your feet excitedly on the ground.
"I wanted to," he said softly, "now open it!"
You smiled and carefully wiggled the top free; inside was a silver necklace. Nothing fancy, just plain sliver like your ring with his name written in script so, when you wore it, it would sit just below the little pocket at the base of your neck.
"Y/N," Newt began, "I know we had parties in the glade, but they weren't anything like what we have here and I know how much you love it and I wanted to make our first, official party together special. So, Y/N, will you do me the honour of going to the dance with me?"

"Yes of course I will! How could I say no? This is lovely!" You squealed, turning around and moving your hair to the side so he could clasp the necklace around your neck.

Newt placed a kiss on the side of your head and you smiled. You were happy. You loved him. And you were happy you were going to the dance with him.

And yet the image of his lips on Esme's picked at the back of your mind.

Because I think you deserve it, here are some clues of what is to come

•if you're still not over Esme and Newt, you're not alone because neither is Y/N

•Chase is super hot and lovely, even more so when you're drunk

•Olly and Gally have a very unfortunately timed row

And finally, the biggest spoiler ever: one of the characters isn't going to make it to the end of the book.

^comment predictions and theories for these it would literally make my day to see where you think it's going <3

And that's basically it so please comment and like even though I don't deserve it and I'll hopefully see you before the year is up! (I have a plan for this hook so I'll hopefully get it completed soon)

Stick with it noses, byeee xx