Suspicions

Celeste POV

I walk from the mess hall, and I just can't get Professor McCleary out of my head. Something about her is off. I don't know for sure, but it's that gut feeling in the bottom of my stomach, it's my instincts. And not to brag, but they're usually right.

Kate walks up next to me. I didn't even realize I am walking alone.

"What's up with you? You were acting weird at dinner..." Kate asks me, her voice trailing off. I know that tone in her voice. It's the one she uses when she is trying to figure things out.

"It's just...I'll tell you when we get to our room." I say, shaking my head and trying to clear my thoughts. We continue walking in silence for several minutes until we arrive at the dorm rooms. I glance around, taking notice of the few students lingering in the hallway, talking in low voices. We open the door to our room and I walk in, Kate comes in behind me and pushes the door closed, turning the lock.

"Now spill."

"I think there is something up with Professor McCleary. Something about her isn't right. She's nothing like the other professors. Her pattern of behavior and how she handles her classes is different." I confess; my eyebrows furrowed trying to figure everything out.

"I've thought the same thing a couple times. Do you think we should look into it? Scope around a little?" Kate says, a mischievous grin crossing her face. I smile back at her, crossing my arms.

"What are you suggesting?"

~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later, we're sitting on the floor in our dorm with our laptops in our lap and papers spread out all around us. We've been hacking and digging for any information on Colleen McCleary for what seems like forever and so far nothing worth looking into has come up.

"Okay. This says that Colleen McCleary has been working as an operative for at least eight years." I tell Kate, who is busy searching Colleen's name in the FBI database using her incredible hacking skills. (Which I'm pretty sure is illegal, but that's another issue completely.)

"I seriously think we need to see if we can get into her school employment form." Kate tells me for the millionth time. She grabs her hair in her hands and ties it up into a bun. It's one of those little habits she has whenever she's stressed or really focused on something.

I let out a sigh of frustration. I can't find squat on this lady.

"Fine. But be quick." I tell her. Kate smiles to herself. Hacking is her specialty. She could spend hours doing it and she would be happy. It was easy for her to get into any of the student's Academy profiles. After all, she did come up with the software used to protect them. We've found out some pretty weird stuff snooping around in there. I watch her as the light of the computer flickers on her face. This is her thing, just as field work is mine.

"Got it!" She exclaims after a few minutes.

"And?" I say, drawing it out.

"Okay. So. Name: Colleen Anne McCleary, age: 32. Wow. She doesn't look that old. Moving on. It says that she's been in the business of espionage for eight years. And.... She wanted to join BPA to teach because... Of her, and I quote, 'desire to share the amazing wonders of espionage and spying in the natural world.' Wow that's really cheesy. I wonder which famous operative said that." Kate says, implying that that was not her real intention for coming to the school.

I let out a sigh. Nothing interesting there.

"I found some papers about her, but they need at least a level 6 clearance to read or access them. Which we obviously don't have." Kate tells me, referring to our level 3 clearance. I sigh.