Final Draw

Joe POV

Celeste is screaming like she's dying. I find myself struggling for breath, trying to rid myself of the pain in the side of my temple. Jasper knew just where to hit me. He knows that my head is my weak spot; the place that is most fatal.

He knows that if I take a hit there, I'm down for good.

I feel an attack threatening to burst forth in my forehead. It feels like ants crawling everywhere inside, causing blood to pump much too fast. I have to resist from crying out. I force my eyes open, commanding it to go away. I can't let this beat me right now. I can't let Jasper take anyone else's life away.

Celeste isn't hurt, from what I can tell. Instead, I see Seth kneeling in front of her, his eyes wide. Blood seeps through his white shirt and I realize that he took the bullet for her. He saved her life. He collapses to the ground, his eyes wide. Celeste screams and catches him, letting him fall into her lap. "No! Nonono Seth! Stay awake, stay awake!" She desperately presses her hands against his stomach, doing what she can to stop the bleeding.

Jasper is moving towards them, cocking his gun. I push myself up onto my knees, pulling my knife out of my back pocket. My head spins as I stand up, and I do my best to steady myself. The barrel is trained on Celeste's head now, and she finally looks up at Jasper, her eyes miserable and her cheeks streaked with tears. She doesn't look afraid to die, only heartbroken. But I can't watch her die, not like this. I force what energy I have left in me and I tell myself that I can hit Jasper right where his heart is. I tell myself that I can kill him.

Clearly I am wrong, because I end up disarming Jasper before he can react. His gun goes off and the bullet hits the wall right next to Celeste. She doesn't even flinch. I shove Jasper away and plant my feet in front of Celeste and Seth. I grip my knife in my right hand, pushing away the still throbbing attack in my head.

Jasper is thrown off balance, but he rolls when he hits the ground and he is back on his feet within seconds. He faces me, his eyes furious and feral. He notices the weapon in my hand, and he grins. "Is that really how you want to do things?" He says, pulling his own knife out of its holder on his belt. I don't answer his question, but merely glare at him.

He shakes his head and his eyes pierce into mine. "Look at you, sacrificing yourself for others! When did you get a heart? I had thought you lost your moral code." He says with a bitter laugh.

Again, I have nothing to say to him. I narrow my eyes at him and concentrate on evening out my breathing.

"You know that this is foolish. You've never beat me before. I trained you myself." He shakes his head and pauses. "Stop wasting your potential over a worthless cause." His eyes avert to Celeste, who is still doing what she can to keep Seth alive. "I don't want to kill you too, Jonathan--"

I bolt towards him before he can finish his sentence. I slash my knife towards his face, but he ducks and jumps backward. He jabs his knife at my abdomen. I swing my blade and lock out his elbow. He takes a few steps back and releases himself from my arm.

I stumble forward a few steps. He is back in front of me in a blur. He slashes in front of my face and I stumble backwards. I bring my knife up to block a jab to my arm. I've been incredibly lucky so far not to have been sliced open, but I know I can't hold off Jasper forever. Something needs to happen.

I hear Colleen call out Jasper's name, and it sets him off track for a few precious seconds. I use this opportunity and slash my knife across his face. As soon as my blade makes contact, he jerks away. The cut isn't incredibly deep, but it should do some damage.

Jasper curses loudly and brings his free hand up to touch his face. He looks at the tips of his fingers, which are now stained red. Rage flashes in his eyes and I know that I'm running out of time.