Helpless

Kate POV

"Rory." Celeste says right before she bolts out of the dining hall going a million miles an hour. Rory must still be in the library after their mentor meeting.

A fire on campus? That never happens. The Academy is protected by high security 24/7. If there is a fire on campus, someone would notice it the moment that it starts up. Unless there isn't anyone there.

I watch her figure disappear out the front door, unnoticed by the multiple professors who are now standing in a tight circle around Lockharte. They are immersed into whatever the headmaster is saying, their eyes wide. I swallow when I see the fear in their eyes, the anticipation of all that could happen. Then I notice something else: Professor McCleary isn't present.

I erase the thought from my mind and start to run for the exit of the dining hall. I need to get to Celeste before she makes the rash decision to run into the burning library. Before I get very far, I feel a hand on my elbow stop me dead in my tracks. I try to jerk away, but whoever has a grip on me is a lot stronger. I turn around, about to yell in protest before I see who it is.

Brown eyes. Very familiar brown eyes. Annoying, smug, laid-back, and-- fear? "Preston let go of me!" I say, attempting to free my arm from his iron grip. It's useless.

"And just where do you think you're going?" he says, trying not to let the coolness slip from his tone. Odd.

I pause from my constant struggle to get away from him. "The library! Celeste and Rory are in there!" I say, panic obvious in my voice.

"You didn't hear the announcement did you?"

"What?"

"Lockharte literally just said for all students to get to the gym."

My eyes widen. "Why?"

"Because it's the farthest and safest place from the library. Which is burning down to the ground right now, in case you didn't catch that part of this little equation either."

I throw my head back and look up at the tall ceiling. All around us, students are filing out the emergency exit, all making their way to the gym. All heading towards safety.

Unlike Celeste. I somehow knew she was running to the library. Why? I didn't know. I glance back down at Preston, who has his face trained on my intently. I can't lie to him, because heaven knows I suck at it.

"I need to get to the library. Let me go! I'm trying to get to Celeste, but this stupid idiot with brown hair won't let me go."

Preston raises his eyebrows. But he doesn't seemed amused at all. In fact, he looks almost... worried. Preston was never worried about anything except for his appearance and maybe Ivy. "I'm coming with you." He says, his voice low.

"What? No, no you're not."

"Yes, I am. I'm not just gonna let you run into a fire by yourself."

"I didn't say I was going to run-- what makes you think I would do that? And I don't need your help." My voice is rising. I can feel anger shooting through my veins. What right did he have to tell me what and what not to do? We barely knew each other.

When Preston doesn't respond, I shake my head and turn away. I run out of the dining hall and follow Seth as we run to the library. Up ahead, I can see a huge cloud of smoke rising into the evening sky, blocking out the sun. We stop about twenty yards short of the burning building. I feel the heat of the fire touching the skin on my face.