Questions

Celeste POV

Twenty four hours has passed and literally nothing has happened. Joe came in after our first meeting and let me out of my chair, but he quickly left without a word. I honestly didn't care. I wanted nothing to do with him, if I could help it.

I sit in the corner of the concrete room and play with the strings of my hoodie, sliding my worn combat boots across the concrete over and over. I close my eyes and lean my head against the wall. I wish I could know where I am or my reason for being here. However, I am oblivious, and it scares me all the more. I count the number of scratches on the wall, the number of times the security camera in the corner moves. I count whatever I can to keep the seconds of pure suspense in my subconscious.

My eyes fly open as the door opens and three figures step through. Joe is one of them. I feel that heat inside me burn again as I lay my eyes on him. That heat that urges me to attack, to get out of here. To go free and run home where I belong.

But I know I can't do that.

The two other men that step into the room are significantly larger and burlier than Joe. They have to be related, due to the similar way they dress and the almost exact same facial features. Balding heads, dark skin, and arms that look like they could toss a pickup truck a hundred yards away. One of them is almost completely covered in tattoos. Just seeing them makes my skin crawl.

"Put her in the chair." Joe commands and leans against the wall opposite of me. I immediately tense as the two men advance on me and grab my by the arms. I try to ignore the painful death grip they have on me as they yank me across the room towards the chair once again. I swallow back the fear that is bubbling in my throat.

They tie my hands behind the chair and my feet to the legs. Joe hasn't moved, and instead studies me with solemn eyes. When I am secure, he comes forward into the light and gazes down at me with no expression. He looks like a statue with his towering height. I avoid eye contact with him as he begins to speak to me.

"Enjoying our hospitality?" He asks casually. No one moves, or responds. I press my lips together. Joe squats down on the back of his heels so that he is lower than me. I am forced to look at him.

"You didn't give me an answer."

"What makes you think you deserve one?" Pure acid is radiating around me.

I hear movement behind me before Joe holds his hand up. "Wait, don't do anything yet. She still has a chance to cooperate with me."

I say nothing. Joe sighs and clucks his tongue once. "You just don't like to talk do you?"

"Not to people I don't want to have any association with."

"That makes perfect sense, but you're going to need to if you know what's good for you."

"Who cares what I think is good for me."

Joe shakes his head. "Well, I guess I should introduce you to my friends. This is Carl," he says, gesturing to the man on my left. I don't even look back to see them. "And this is Butch." Joe points over my left shoulder, referring to the man with the tattoos.

Joe looks up at me from where he is squatting in front of me. "You have got to tell me something, Princess. This is your last chance." He says. I roll my eyes. How many more times is he gonna say this before he realizes that I'm not going to?

"I don't have to do anything." I snap back at him.

He shakes his head, his expression becoming annoyed. "Your choice."