Secret Meeting

Celeste POV

I lean my head against Seth's chest as we dance to the music on the dance floor. I know this is the last song and I want to enjoy every second of it. Seth's hands rest on my waist; his fingers grazing the skin on my back where the scoop of my dress is. His touch sends chills up my spine. He holds me tightly and I close my eyes as we sway back and forth. As the song comes to an end, he holds me tightly for several seconds before we separate.

I hear Lockharte's voice as he dismisses us from the Gala, and next thing I know couples are all filing out the door. I feel Seth's hand on my back as we take our leave, and a single terrifying yet thrilling thought enters my head.

Every step I take closer to the after-party is one step closer to my meeting with whoever has been sending all the letters.

"Hey, Seth can we take a walk?" I ask him, suddenly dreading the after-party.

"Of course." The building containing the activity center falls behind us and we separate from the rest of the group, who are all headed back to the dorm rooms. We walk along a lonely sidewalk in silence, and somehow we end up in front of the burned down library. I feel my heart grow heavy as I take a seat on a stone bench under a tree. Seth sits down next to me quietly.

As I sit looking at the burned shell, the fiery coffin that holds Rory, I feel a tear slide down my face and land on my dress.

"Celeste..." Seth says. He reaches up and uses his thumb to brush the tear from my face. He holds my face in his palms, turning it gently so that I am looking at him. His hands are soft and gentle, and his touch sends a shiver down my spine. "She's with her mom now, wherever that is. You have to let go of her eventually." He tells me, leaning closer to my face until ours are inches apart.

"I wish it was easier to forget things like this. I wish I could just let her go. But I loved her so much. It's hard to say goodbye." I tell him, turning to him and searching his eyes for any glimpse of understanding.

"I know," He tells me, brushing another tear from my face, "But sometimes it's better to let these things go. Or else it'll mess with your mind for the rest of your life. Not all the people in your life are meant to stay. Others will be with you forever... I'll be with you forever."

I raise my eyebrows, wanting to believe every single word. I gaze into his blue eyes, eyes that can be seen from a mile away...

And I kiss him.

I kiss him with hesitation and the fear of something new. Seth seems to know what he's doing, because he's holding my face gently in his hands. It's like he's shocked, like he can't believe that he's caught a butterfly but he has to hold it carefully for fear of hurting it. Thousands of thoughts are running through my head and my heart is asking me questions.

I've kissed one other person in my life, another person with blue eyes like the sea. With hands that held me like glass and were strong at the same time. Suddenly my mind is reminding who this is in front of me. I'm kissing my best friend who I've slowly started to feel differently about. My best friend who I think I'm starting to love on another level.

I pull away slowly, but I keep my forehead rested against Seth's. His eyes are closed and I can tell he's having a hard time keeping his breathing under control. He swallows. "We need to head back... Teachers will start looking." He says gently, sensing my obvious hesitation as to going back.

I nod and he stands up, offering me his hand. I have forgotten about the heels I have been wearing all night, which are now wreaking havoc on the balls of my feet. I take Seth's hand and I wrap my arm around his, starting to feel the chill of the night air upon my shoulders. We walk quietly to the dorm building, up the mahogany staircase, through the dim hallways. We stop in front my room.