Voices

Celeste POV

"So," Joe said as he pulled a chair up in front of me. He sits down on it backwards and rests his forearms on the back of the chair and smiles at me. It isn't genuine. "Why don't you tell me a little about yourself Princess? I've noticed we haven't really gotten to... bond."

I roll my eyes and look down at my boots, which are now dusty with new scratches here and there.

"You just gonna pretend like I'm not here? You know that won't go over well for you." Joe says, prying, edging me on. I glance up at him and try not to gag. How can someone so pretty be so awfully inhuman?

"It's definitely much more engaging than trying to focus on you."

"Hey! Hey! Princess, I've been nothing but kind to you since you got here." Joe says and holds his hands up in the air.

"I hate you."

"I gathered that." Joe cocks his head to the side. Smiles. Observes me for exactly eighteen seconds. I shift uncomfortably in my chair.

"Stop staring." I finally say. Joe's shoulders shake and he stands up and begins pacing the room. For the first time, I notice Carl and Butch standing off to the side, shadows half covering the hard features on their faces. I swallow.

"Do you know how many days you have been here, Princess?"

I pause for a moment and actually take his question into consideration. Flashes of the past few days speed through my mind. I remember lifting my shirt at some point and seeing a big purple bruise covering my lower left side. I remember Vegas kicking that exact spot with no hesitation, as if he had done it a thousand times before. I remember lifting my fingers to my face at some point and feeling scabs where Carl's rings had cut my skin open. I remember running my hands through my tangled hair and rubbing my fingers together to keep from freezing.

I shove it all away. Shake my head.

"Three days. Three days you've been here, and you... have given us... NOTHING!" I jump as Joe raises his voice to almost a scream. I curl my toes inside my shoes and continue to look down, even as he bends down in front of me, inches from my face. I refuse to look into those eyes.

"I am getting sick of seeing your pathetic expressions and short answers. They're getting us nowhere, and you may not realize it, but if you just sit there and give me nothing, then I swear to you that will turn into a decision you will regret!"

My jaw tightens. I finally look up at him, swallowing back the fear bubbling in my throat. Words cannot express my hatred for this person. This... boy who has taken me and hurt me and threatened the things I love most. I take all the hatred and I tie it together with a string, so it won't fall apart. It becomes one big ball of bitterness and desire for vengeance. I will make sure he gets the exact opposite of what he wants.

When I say nothing, Joe stands up with a grunt of frustration. I observe the way his face turns the color of a cherry when he's angry. I find it highly entertaining. Maybe he'll explode...

"Carl." One word. That's all it takes for the massive man to approach me and lay a backhand across my cheek. Right on my cheekbone. I bite back the pain and ball my hands together. Joe thinks he can break me physically, but it my mental mindset which will never be broken. My head starts to pound and I struggle to keep my eyes open.

I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry...

"Untie her. That's not enough." Joe says. I get just a glance at him. He is leaning his head against the wall, his arms crossed. His eyes are closed, and I notice the dark bags under his eyes. He hasn't slept in days. I can tell. I recognize those bags instantly. I see them on myself.