Forgive But Do Not Forget

Kate POV

I tie my hair up into a bun as I walk toward the field where Physical Defense is being held. The air is chilly but comfortable in the sun. I follow the crowd out to where Coach is standing. His real name is Brady Carnaham, but he hates being called that and demands that everyone simply just call him Coach. If we mess up and call him anything else, he makes us run a half mile.

"Good morning, my little munchkins. Today we are going to be working on hand to hand combat, but we're mixing it up a little. While you are usually paired with someone your size, the enemy will never take the time to weigh you and pair you up with someone your size or gender. So today we are going to be working against someone who may be twice as big as you, a different gender, half your size, the same size... It will all be different. I will pick your partners and if I hear any complaining or griping you will both do one mile sprint in addition to today's workout. Understood?"

"Yes sir." We all say in chorus. The thing about Coach is that he is not all talk. He follows through on what he says he will do. That is why we all have a healthy fear of him.

"Good. Line up." He says, crossing his arms and beginning to study who will be paired with who. I may be a bookworm and what you would consider a nerd, but that does not mean I am nonathletic. I'm certainly not top of the class, but I can hold my own whenever the time comes.

"All right, here are your partners..." Coach goes off rambling names off. We get to my portion of the alphabet and I perk up when I hear my name being called. "Sanders..." He says, and looks at the remaining unpaired people. Three guys, all at least twice my size. Coach calls the single name I was hoping he wouldn't. It's like he psychic. "You'll go with Haynesworth. Booth, Oswald, you two will face off. Sanders and Haynesworth are going first."

There are a few catcalls and whistles as the rest of the students circle around the single mat that Coach laid out. I look across it to see Preston standing in the middle of his little posse, who are all giving him pats on the back and cheering him on. I roll my eyes as we both step on opposite sides of the mat.

"All right, munchkins," I hear Coach say behind me, "You know the rules. Play safe, no breaking each other's limbs, no bloody noses. I don't want to deal with that today. Haynesworth..." Coach cuts off and then averts his eyes to me. "Be nice."

I snort and raise my hands as Preston resists the urge to grin. He copies my movement, and then we are circling, our eyes trained on each other. "I'll go easy if you want me to." Preston says and raises his eyebrow as if to challenge me. In response, I thrust my fist right into his face. His neck snaps back and he takes a few steps away. When he gains composure and looks back at me, he looks confused and angry at the same time.

"Thanks for the offer," I mutter, "You're so considerate and... thoughtful." Preston rolls his eyes, and then he attacks. He lurches forward and throws a punch straight at my face. I duck under his arm and end up behind him, my fists raised. Preston whirls around and charges again, but he isn't fast enough. One good thing about being small is bigger people can never get to you fast enough. We're gone before you can blink twice.

"What's up with you," Preston says as I throw my elbow into his face, which he deflects with ease. "All the sudden it's like you want me six feet under."

"That's actually exactly what I want." I bring my knee up and it connects with his stomach. Preston doubles over, but grabs my thigh and sends me down the ground at the same time. I roll out of his way right as he brings his fist down again, and I am up on my feet.

"Watch your form, Haynesworth." I hear Coach yell. Preston looks over his shoulder, giving me the opportunity to smack him right in the gut. He stumbles back with a grunt and looks up at me. Sweat has started to drip down his temple.