What Pokemon Do Best

(Umbreon's P.O.V)

I blinked open my eyes to the harsh morning light and shook my head tiredly. Espeon stirred beside me, sighing in her sleep. I smiled and gradually rose to my paws, stretching my front paws and then my hind legs, blinking my eyes rapidly to wake myself up. Espeon cooed softly, and I saw her shake her head from the corner of my eye.

I turned around, watching the Psychic type open her big purple eyes and blink, smiling and flicking her tail. "Morning." She said through a yawn, stretching out her legs and standing.

"Good morning. I didn't mean to wake you Espeon, sorry." I mumbled.

"Eh-" Espeon shrugged, "it doesn't matter." She smiled, bending over to take a drink from the from the tiny pond before standing again and leaping down to stand by me. "We should head back to the house before your trainer starts to worry."

I nodded and gestured towards the trail back up to the main path. Espeon smiled and walked up the path. I followed behind her, watching the path boredly. I was too trapped in thought to pay attention to anything right now.

"U-Umbreon.. I t-think you better look at t-this..." Espeon stopped dead in her tracks, her voice quavering with fear as she looked back at me with wide, frightened eyes.

"Look at what?" I became suddenly overwhelmed with concern by her fear. Leaping over her gracefully, I landed and stood in front of her to protect her.

In the center of the path we were on was the curled up, sleeping, carmel brown, white and black shape of a fluffy Arcanine. I gasped in shock, backing right into Espeon. She squealed and lost her balence, falling and landing on the ground with a soft thud!

A low, unsettling growl echoed around the path, and I turned as the huge dog-like pokemon slowly lifted his head. It's ears back in anger, the Arcanine stood and roared a loud battle cry, obviously a little upset that he'd been interrupted from his sleep.

"Heh... U-Um, pardon m-me and my friend here..." I whimpered, standing tall. "W-we really didn't mean to wake you-"

Arcaninnnneeeee!

The fire-type pokemon stepped forward and howled, it's fur raised in rage, making it look bigger than it was.

"What are we gonna do Umbreon!?!?" Espeon asked frantically, frozen in place as the angry dog pokemon watched us through narrowed eyes.

I stepped forward and flicked an ear. "What pokemon do best of course." I spoke calmly, trying to relax my worried companion. "We'll battle."

"Umbreeeee!" I gave my battle cry,  standing in my battle position as I began to use Physic to lift some rocks I had spotted on the side of the path. My eyes glowed bright blue as the rocks levitated into the air. Using the beautiful tool called the mind, I threw the rocks at the unsuspecting Arcanine.

As rocks pelted the dog pokemon, it whined in shock. Idiot. I snickered to myself. Laughing at my victory, I hardly noticed Espeon as she used quick-attack to dash as the Arcanine. She smashed into the Arcanine with her head, knocking the already injured Arcanine onto his side.

Espeon grinned smugly and leaped away, swiftly turning to stand by my side. "What are ya waiting for Blacky?" She smirked. "Run!" The Espeon growled, dashing away in the blink of an eye.

I dashed after her, quickly as I could to catch up to the Psychic type. The only sound I could hear was the beating of my heart until I finally reached the dirt path at the top of the hill. Still, I didn't stop, even when the terrifying sound of growls and roars interrupted the silence. I began to huff for breath, my legs growing weak from all the running. No stopping. How embarrassing would that be?

Espeon finally skidded to a halt once the little cabin was in her sight. I slid to stop, swift enough to avoid running right into her, as little sand and dirt clouds erupted into the air from under my feet. I gasped for breath as we sat in silence, heads hung.

"Well-" Espeon breathed heavily, "We might as well go in now..."

"Erm- yea. Let's go." I stood and stretched, trotting towards the house. Espeon began to walk behind me, but her walking sounded a little... Odd. I turned to see the beautiful cat-like pokemon favoring her right front paw and limping.

"What?" She hissed, flicking a long purple ear.

"Your limping." I answered simply.

"So?" She closed her eyes and continued to limp towards the house.

"Why?"

"I don't know. Must've hurt it while running. Think I twisted it or something." She shrugged casually, not caring and continuing to awkwardly make her way to the house.

"Would you like some help Espeon?" I asked kindly, smiling slightly.

"If it'll make you feel better about yourself." She groaned sarcastically, rolling her eyes. I shrugged and backed up to her, supporting her side and walking at the same pace as she was.

"There. Isn't that better?" I smiled.

"Like I said Blacky, I'll say it does if it makes ya feel better." She mumbled, flicking her tail at me and tickling the back of my head with it's tip. I shook my head and tilted back my ears.

"What's with this 'Blacky' thing? What, like me so much you wanna give me a nickname?" I teased, approaching the tiny eevee door to the house.

Espeon smirked and sucked into the house. "In your dreams, Blacky." I smirked in return, ducking in and letting her lean on my shoulder.

We walked into the living area, were a pair of jealous and curious Flareon eyes watched us closely from atop the coffee-table.

(To be continued...)