Six · Straight Outta Compton

Compton, California · Wednesday, June 25th, 1986

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

"Then I look at you

And the world's alright with me 

Just one look at you

And I know it's gonna be

A lovely daaaaay..."

I slid across the wooden walnut floors of Lesley and I's bedroom with the assistance of my white slouch socks while singing along to "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers as it played on vinyl from my record player. I stopped myself from gliding once I was standing in front of my cheval mirror. 

I examined my birthday attire: A pair of turquoise spandex shorts, a white bandeau top, and an acid washed L.A. Gear cropped jean jacket with light pink and turquoise lettering on the front and back. I wore a pair of light pink hoop earrings and black, white, and light pink bangles for accessories. My hair was brushed back into a curly ponytail with a white scrunchie and the exception of a few of my natural curls draping down upfront; creating a bang. I left my face clear and natural for the day. 

I was kinda disappointed that I couldn't afford the shorts and sneakers that matched my jean jacket. My allowance had been cut over the last few weeks 'cause of the speculations that occurred after prom night when I had returned home early in the morning from unknown places. My mother never answered my questions when it came down to me asking her about their whereabouts that night and why no one had picked up when I called so of course I refused to open my mouth about me sleeping over Eazy's house that night. 

"Adult decision making." Eazy's voice echoed through my mind as I smirked at my reflection in the mirror. 

"Alex, turn that god damn music down, this ain't the disco, and quit all that bumpin'! I can hear you all the way down here!" I heard my mother yell from downstairs. 

I flinched and closed my eyes in annoyance at the sound of her voice. 

"Yes ma'am!" I shouted in response. 

I walked over to my record player, lifting the needle carefully then stopping the record.  Proceeding into my closet, I retrieved my white Keds tennis shoes before walking back out and taking a seat on the edge of my bed. 

I laced-up, thinking about all the gifts and wishes I was about to receive today. I put MAJOR effort into letting everyone special to me know over these last couple of months that my 18th birthday was today! 

Dre busted through my bedroom door causing me to look up from lacing my tennis shoes. 

"Hey Dre!" I greeted happily with a wide smile stretched across my face. 

I was expecting to hear a "Happy Birthday Alex!" next so that I could fake a gasp but instead I got a dry ass "What's up?" 

"Obviously lacing my shoes..." I stated with attitude, going back to doing so. 

"Those clothes you have on are too low-cut. You need to change." 

I cut my eyes at him.