Twelve · Trouble in Paradise

January 1990

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

"(You) You are the love of my life (Precious little baby)

I dedicate this song to you 

You are my joy

My child (Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)"

I sat in the armchair by the window of my daughter's periwinkle decorated nursery, jotting down yet another short interlude that came to mind. 

My bundle of joy hasn't even arrived and yet she had me sitting in this room everyday at noon, writing songs about how much I loved her. 

"Alright mommy-to-be, time for your progression video diary!" Nicole said excitedly, entering the nursery with her Canon camcorder already rolling. 

"Aw Nicole!" I groaned, covering my face with my hand. "Not right now. I look like shit." 

She giggled at my misery, circling around the armchair with the camera still pointing directly at me. 

"You look beautiful! I have you in your most natural state:  Hair tied up, bare face, with the tie-dye t-shirt, sweats, and cable knit socks. Embrace your clear skin!" She pulled my hand away from my face and took a seat on the foot rest in front of me. 

I smiled shyly at the camera, placing my hands on top of my 28 week baby bump. 

Nicole has been my biggest assistant throughout these four months. Whether it was helping me remember my monthly prenatal care check-ups with my OB/GYN, helping me make room for the baby, or dealing with my frequent mood swings and cravings she was there for it all. And if she wasn't available, my parents or Eric's parents were. I was highly thankful for all of them.

"Now, first thing's first, show us the baby bump!" She gleamed. 

I rolled my eyes playfully and set my composition and school books aside before struggling to stand up from the seat. 

"Trouble in paradise?" She joked. 

"Shut up!" I snarled, pulling my t-shirt up over my stomach to reveal my baby bump. 

"How far along are you today?" 

"I'm precisely 28 weeks and 2 days, which'll make me seven months. I am finally entering my third trimester." 

I pulled my shirt back down and took a seat again. 

"Any new attributes?"

"Uh, I can't do anything the way I used to because of my stomach being in the way, that includes sleeping and shaving, she's always in my rib cage and it hurts, and I'm always running to the bathroom every chance I get, but that's normal." 

"What about names? Have you and Eazy discussed any names over the phone for my goddaughter, so that we can stop calling her 'she'? If so, please share." 

"Yes, we discussed them sometime last week."

"Annnd?"