Twenty One · Reminisce

Tuesday, October 6th, 1992

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

I could sense the overfamiliar feeling of my heart fluttering, throat running dry, and palms sweating as I patiently waited for Sinbad to announce me from behind the red curtain of the Apollo Theater along with my background singers.

These past three months have been an overwhelming journey for me. The publicity from Eric and I's engagement, discovering that we went half on a baby, touring announcements, and that Warren and Andre were my brothers made my album sales boost tremendously, not that I didn't think it would have been that successful without it all.

More publicity meant more bookings, so here I was, thirteen days before my tour begins, about to grace the same stage that legends like Billie Holiday, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, The Jacksons, and N.W.A performed on. Why wouldn't I be nervous?

"From Compton, California, our next guest is tearing up the charts! Her debut album Retrospective is out in stores now. Here to perform her hit singles "You Used to Love Me" and "Soon as I Get Home", ladies and gentlemen, let's give it up for, Alex!" Sinbad announced.

The crowd immediately began to cheer as the curtain began to rise, revealing me and my background singers dressed in all white.

I could see the audience rising out their seats and rushing towards the stage as I walked further out.

"What up, Apollo?!" I said into the mic, grinning.

"I remember the way, you used to love me

I remember the days, you used to love me,"

"Did you and Emani see me on TV earlier tonight lookin' fly in all white?"

I was now safely in my suite at the ONE UN Millennium New York in Manhattan, New York City, soaking in the Jacuzzi bathtub with the complimentary vanilla bean candles burning and Mary J. Blige's What's the 411?  album playing softly in the background as I conversed with Eric about my day over the phone.

"Yeah, we saw you. She wouldn't stop pointing at the screen and shouting 'mommy'."

"Aw," I pouted, bringing my knees close to my chest. "I miss you guys."

"We miss you too. You think you some kinda superstar out on the East Coast, huh?"

I giggled.

"Am I not supposed to? It's so surreal flying out to different states other than California and having people chant your name and ask for your autograph or picture whether you look appealing or not 'cause it's that sentimental to them."

"You better adjust. You go on tour in another two weeks."

"I know. I wish you were here with me though." I peered at the beautiful skyline of New York from the window.

"I would've came, but I gotta finish the rest of this EP." He said, referring to his 5150: Home 4 tha Sick EP.

As I was about to respond to him, there were a few knocks at the door.

"Baby, I'ma let you go, someone's knocking at the door. I love you, and tell Emani the same."

"Aight, I will. Bye."

"Bye." I said, hanging up and placing my cellphone on the edge of the tub.

I lifted and turned the tub drain before stepping out the tub, my naturally curly hair still damp from the water. I reached for one of the white towels stored under the sink.