Eleven · Long Time Coming

Kemper Arena, Kansas City, Missouri · September 1989

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

"Alex are you sure you're gonna be able to go out on stage like this?" Michel'le asked, pushing my curls back as I emptied everything I've ate over the last past week, into the toilet, for the third time today. 

"Yes, I'm sure, Michel'le!" I said in frustration once I was actually able to respond. "I don't wanna disappoint you by not walking out on that stage tonight. It'll be a huge-- A huge--" I stammered, feeling myself about to retch again. 

"You're not disappointing me if you're sick. I care about your well-being more than anything else right about now." She consoled, rubbing her hand against my back in circular motions. 

"I'm fine, Michel'le. I promise you, I'm fine. I can do this." I pulled myself up from the marble floors with whatever strength I had left in my body and flushed the toilet with my foot. 

Michel'le quickly left the stall and walked over to the paper towel dispenser to rip a couple off to bring back to me including a stick of Wringley's doublemint gum from her shoulder bag. 

"Thanks." I accepted the paper towels and gum she got for me and walked over to the sink, making sure that I didn't smudge the burgundy colored lipstick I was wearing. 

The truth was, I was nowhere near 'fine'. We've been on tour with the boys for four whole months now, trying to promote Michel'le's debut album before October comes around. Now don't get me wrong, It's really great meeting celebrities like, Kid 'n' Play and LL Cool J and meeting new people everywhere you travel, but behind all that I still wasn't used to all this. I was mentally and physically exhausted. One minute I'll be really calm then the next minute I'll be wanting to snatch someone's larynx out for even uttering a single word to me. 

I disposed the paper towels and wrapper, turned on the faucet in front of me, and proceeded to pump soap into the palm of my hand. 

"Alex?" Michel'le called out, walking up behind me. 

"Hm?" I hummed, scrubbing my hands off. 

"Y-You don't think you're... Pregnant, do you?"

I paused and looked up at her through the mirror. 

When she said that word it must've rang throughout my mind a thousand times. 

"Course not." I smiled faintly, playing it off. 

I couldn't be. Not right now anyways. Eazy's debut album Eazy-Duz-It  is just recently going certified platinum, I'm still enrolled in college, we're both still on tour, and not mention nobody knew we were together outside of our immediate circle of close friends and family. A baby would by far be the worse news to receive at this moment in time, for the both of us. I couldn't even stomach the thought of bearing his child right now. 

"Which means you and Eazy are using birth control methods?" 

"Not necessarily all the time, but we do use them." I said truthfully, turning off the faucet and proceeding to dry my hands off. 

"Then how are you so sure that you're not pregnant?"

" 'Cause I just do! Look, I don't care to talk about this situation anymore. Let's just get up outta here and do what we gotta do."

She sighed deeply. 

"Aight, let's go." 

We both vacated the bathroom and made our way down the hall, trying to get to the arena floor, but not before running into D.O.C., DJ Train, and Laylaw on our way there.