Fourteen · Party and Bullshit

Saturday, November 10th, 1990

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

"...I'll have you a 100 miles and runnin'!"

If I had to hear that same line leave Cube's mouth from that Pump It Up! segment with Dee Barnes I was literally gonna scream to the top of my lungs!

Since the interview first aired earlier in the month, Eric wouldn't stop rewinding it to the part where Dee was interviewing Yo-Yo on the set of Boyz n the Hood and somehow Cube managed to jump his ass up in there and sneak diss N.W.A. The situation was shady only because Dee had N.W.A up there discussing their 100 Miles and Runnin' EP then here comes the person they were referring to. It wasn't gonna be taken lightly from the get go, but I guess Eric couldn't exactly grasp that. I just wanted for him to pull himself together, so that him and the boys could figure out their next move and put it in full effect.

I carefully placed my flat iron back on the bathroom sink after pressing all the curls on the right side of my hair. 

I was only halfway through with my hair and I still had makeup to apply to my face. I never took the quote 'A woman/mother's work is never done' seriously, until now.

Hearing that tape rewind again from Eric and I's bedroom, I figured that Eric needed an distraction... And fast!

I walked out the bathroom with my short, pink colored, satin lace robe open, exposing my black lace strapless bra & panty set. 

He hadn't even acknowledged my presence.

I entered our walk in closet and pulled the two dresses I've been debating over all week to wear to Warren's 20th birthday party in Long Beach tonight from the rack. I walked back inside out bedroom and stood in front of the TV.

"Baby, what do you think, white or black?" I asked, balancing the dresses with my arms.

He kissed his teeth before cutting his eyes at me.

"Can't you see I'm trying to watch something here?" He asked dryly with the VHS player remote in hand.

"Eric, you've been replaying that specific scene repeatedly since it first aired! Even I have it memorized! You act like this nigga paying you top dollar, hourly, to keep playback on his shit! Give it a break! For me, please?" I pouted.

He chuckled softly while pinching the bridge of his nose and shaking his head.

"You're right. I'm buggin'. I'll leave it alone for now." He turned off the TV.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, walking towards the body mirror hanging on the wall.

I took each dress and pressed it against my body to see which one I favored the most for this event. 

"Definitely the black." Eric grinned, walking up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist.

I flashed him a radiant smile while clutching the black dress close.

"You sure?"

"Absolutely, but I'd like it better if you were in your birthday suit." He smirked, kissing on my neck.

I blushed, breaking free of his hold.

"Nobody goes to a party completely naked baby." I stated, laying the black dress across the bed before going to store the other back inside the closet.

"Who said it was for everybody?" 

Emani's cries and hiccups coming from the baby monitor over on the nightstand interrupted our conversation.