Fifteen · No Vaseline

Before y'all start reading I'm just letting y'all know beforehand that I'm taking the "No Vaseline" fragment from Straight Outta Compton like everybody else (I think I've only changed around one of Yella's lines) and that this chapter will be extremely short. I couldn't think of a better way to do it. I know y'all are probably sick and tired of reading the same ol' thing, so if y'all want to skip over it, be my guest. Enjoy.

Early February 1991

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

I sat on the sofa of my mother's house beside Emani (Whom was taking her midday nap), trying to finish up a textbook reading assignment.

Just a few more months of frustration and I'd finally have my four-year bachelor's degree in cinematography. Sadly, it'd take some time before I can actually put it to use due to raising Emani.

"ALEX! ALEX!" Lesley shouted, running inside the living room area where Emani and I were lounging. "Oomf!" She went tumbling over the chaise lounge with a loud thud.

I held back my laughter.

"Shh! Mani's napping!" I hissed. "Ma's gonna whoop your ass when she finds out you've been running through the house!"

"Sorry," She whispered, standing up and dusting herself off. "I've been trying to get you to hear this all day! Luckily I caught it at the time I did. Check this out." She walked over to the stereo, turning it on, and adjusting it to a decent volume.

"Yella Boy's on your team, so you're loosing

Ay yo Dre, stick to producing

Calling me Arnold, but you bent-a-dick

Eazy-E saw your ass and went in it quick

You got jealous when I got my own company

But I'm a man, and ain't nobody humping me,"

Lesley stared at me after a few lines for a reaction.

Believe it or not, I let out a few snickers. 

Everything that was flying out of Cube's sly ass mouth wasn't necessarily true and we all knew that. I took it as a comedic approach from Cube which is why I kept laughing. I couldn't knock him for that 'cause it wasn't me that he was talking shit about. Can't say they didn't have it coming to 'em. Cube's one of the hardest lyricist I know. All I can do is root for N.W.A to do better next time.

"Turn that shit off." I said, grabbing my Bic highlighter and burying my head back inside my textbook. 

Eric "Eazy-E" Wright

Me, Yella, and Ren were posted at Jerry's crib with a couple niggas, couple groupies, and some Henny; listening to this new diss track by Cube that supposedly was aimed at us. 

Dre was nowhere to be found which was sorta suspect to me. Him and D.O.C. been hanging around that Suge nigga a lot lately and it's been making me question his loyalty as far as this group. I wouldn't think he'd leave a good thing.

"Tryna sound like Amerikkka's Most

You could yell all day, but ya don't come close,"

Tight-lipped, I shook my head continuously at Cube's punchlines. I glanced around the room at everybody's facial expressions.

Yella was nonchalantly chomping on a piece of gum and cracking his neck, the groupies were snickering at Cube clowning us, Ren's nostrils flared as he looked up at Jerry pacing the floor.

"The bigger the cap, the bigger the peeling

Who gives a fuck about a punk-ass villain,"

Everybody's eyes fell on Ren as he shifted in his seat.

Laughing emerged from the groupies yet again as Cube said some homo shit about me and Ren next.

Yella took a double glance up at them.

"Cut my hair? Nah, cut them balls

'Cause I heard you like giving up the drawers

Gang-banged by your manager, fella

Getting money out your ass like a motherfuckin' Ready Teller,"

I sat up in the armchair as Jerry put his head down.

"So don't believe what Ren say

'Cause he's going out like Kunta Kinte,"

Another burst of laughter filled the room as Ren clenched his jaw in anger.

The next couple of lines went on to say something about Jerry's religion. Knowing him, he didn't take too kindly to that.

I looked back as he cut the record off.

Sidebar conversations could be heard for a few seconds until Yella spoke up.

"Told ya!" He took a sip from his glass of Henny.

"That motherfucker got us!" Ren said, rising up from his seat. "Yo, what we 'bout to do?!" He looked in my direction.

I threw my hand up in annoyance while looking in the opposite direction.

"First thing we're gonna do, we're gonna sue this ignorant fuck, that's what we're gonna do!" Jerry said. "Defamation of character libel, I don't really care. The anti-semitic piece of fucking shit! Who the fuck does he think he is?! Unfuckingbelievable! That kind of fucking bullshit?! Jew bashing bullshit! You know what, I'll call my friends at the JDL, huh? They'll handle him. We'll see how much he likes that!"

"Jerry, you gotta relax, aight?! Niggas don't even know what anti-semitic means anyway! It's a fuckin' battle rap!" I spat.

"C'mon Eric, we gotta get organized! We gotta fight this kinda ignorant fuckin' bullshit. Know what, I always knew he was a hateful human-being. This is just ignorant shit. You called him political? This is just ignorant shit! I always knew it! Now the whole world is gonna know! I'm gonna make sure of that, okay? I don't understand why the fuck you're not more angry about this?! Did you hear what he said?!"

If looks could kill, Jerry would be one dead motherfucker.

"I heard what he said, Jerry!" I shouted, jumping up out my seat.

"DID YOU HEAR WHAT HE SAID?!"

"I HEARD WHAT HE SAID!"

"About you?! About me?! C'mon m--"

"You got your way of dealing wit' it, I got mine!"

Everything had got silent for a good minute.

"We could just go to the studio and end his fuckin' career anyway!"

"I don't know about alladat..." Yella remarked, pouring himself another drink.

I cut my eyes at him.

He just don't know when to keep his mouth shut.

"Fine, you do that. You call Dre, and you guys go do that. Do something!" Jerry demanded, walking away.

Everyone looked at Ren.

"Damn, E. Who work for who?" Ren asked.

"What? You questioning that?! My position is fuckin' solidified! Don't never question that shit!" I snarled before making an exit. "Fuckin' Cube man!"