Chapter Twelve

Alice's POV:

Ryder and I had talked a bit more as we hiked. I learned that he likes cars, pitbulls, and the color black. He isn't as bad as I first thought. Now, we just got to the family-owned diner. I got out of the car and walked into the small building which looked really calm.

We got in and walked to a booth right away. I sat across from Ryder and he didn't even pick up the menu. I shrugged it off and looked for something to eat. They had a lot of the common foods you would find in a fast food place. An older lady with pure white hair walked up to us with a pen and paper.

"Hello Ryder! Nice to see you again. Who do we have here?" The old lady kindly gestured to me.

"Hi, I'm Alice. Ryder and I are friends." I shook her hand. She seemed sweet. What was she doing with Ryder?

"It's odd because Ryder never brings any of his friends here." She pondered. "Anyways, Ryder, will you be having the usual?" She asked.

"Yeah, double it." He stated and smiled at the lady. They seemed close.

"You hungry?" I chuckled to myself. Wait, is he ordering for me? Um...

"No, but if you'd like me to order something else for you, I can." He smirked. Oh jeez. This is seeming too much like a date.

"No, that's fine." I gave him a weary smile.

"Sounds good! I'll get that going and it'll be ready in ten minutes. You two enjoy yourselves." The old lady walked away and I looked at Ryder.

"What?" He spat. Well, what crawled up his ass?

"I can't help but look at you, you're across from me dumbass." I replied and grabbed my phone out of my pocket so that I could ignore him.

"What happened to you?" He chuckled which infuriated me. Normally, I'm a pretty chill girl but for some reason, these boys set me off.

"You started it. I was actually having a nice time." I replied and looked into his eyes.

"I asked why you were looking at me, it wasn't vicious." He answered me.

"It sure as hell sounded a bit nasty." I replied calming down a bit.

"It wasn't meant that way." He stated.

"Here's your food. Call if you need anything!" The old lady set down our plates. Both had steak, steak fries, and cokes. How did he know I love steak? This is getting creepier by the minute. The older lady walked away and once she did that, Ryder's phone made a 'ding' sound. I imagined it was a text message.

He took his phone and read it over. His jaw clenched and his eyes glared at the screen. What was so bad? He furiously messaged the mysterious person back and I was in total confusion but it isn't my business. It's not like I'm dating the guy.

His phone notification went off again and he seemed even angrier than before. What's going on? He looked like he was ready to smash his phone. His face turned red and I was honestly nervous. Will he black out and kill everyone? That's an honest question.

"I have to go." He growled at me.

"What? We just got food. Look, I'm sorry I flipped on you. I judged you and thought that you were being rude. Let's just eat." I tried to save the dinner. It looked good! What can I say?

"It's not that. There's a problem at my job that I have to fix. I'll pay for the meal. I'll have a cab come and get you soon." He threw a fifty dollar bill on the table.

"Oh, okay. Thanks for the hiking and the steak." I gave him a sad smile.

"No problem. Bye Skater Girl." He waved me off.

~*~

I ended up eating both our meals. The cab came shortly after. It took me home and I fell soundly asleep in my bed.

"Ali! Get your ass up!" I heard my mother scream. I growled at her and put my blanket over my head. "Don't you growl at me Alice. Now, get up!" My mother yelled again and pulled the blanket off of my head. The light! It burns!

I sighed in annoyance and sat up. My mom was standing next to my bed. She smiled in satisfactory and walked out of my room. I groaned and got out of bed. I grabbed a pair of black shorts that were knee-length and a shirt with the name of my favorite football team on it.

I grabbed a hair tie from a pack my mom just bought last night and put my hair into a high messy bun. I don't wear make up much to begin with so I just skipped downstairs. After today, I get my skateboard back. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a pop tart. I grabbed my Nike shoes and walked out of the house. Sadly, it was raining buckets of water outside. I was drenched within a minute.

I started walking further and a red Ferrari pulled up beside me. The window slowly went down and I saw Jace's smirking face.

"Need a ride?" He asked me. I stood there shocked for a minute. I debated in the cold rain. Is it worth it? The rain will make me uncomfortable for the rest of the day. I sighed in defeat.

"Okay, thanks." I replied and got into the car. I looked at my pop tart and it was al soggy and gross. Awe. I pouted to myself and threw the pop tart out of the window. The pop tart forever shall be remembered for its bravery.

"So, I heard you went out with Ryder yesterday..." Jace trailed off as he drove to school. Why does he care?

"Yeah, how is it any of your business?" I retorted. Jace shrugged.

"Curiosity." He answered my question. Curiosity killed the bad boy.

"Whatever, what's his job? He left early yesterday for it and he never got to tell me." I questioned Jace.

"Oh, um, he works for my fathers company." He explained. I could tell her was hiding something by the tone of his voice.

"Oh, so that's why you all have so much money." I said to myself more than Jace.

"Yeah, my father is very rich. I got the boys a job at his company. Pretty simple. Not much to it." He rushed the conversation.

"If he owns that much money, what's the name of the company? Maybe I know it." I commented trying to act cool.

"Oh, it's not that big. You wouldn't know it." He stated and parked in the school parking lot. "I'll see you in biology." He stated and grabbed his bag. He got out of the car in a flash and within seconds, I was alone.

What is happening? There is something strange about their jobs and the money. I'm determined to figure out what is going on...

A/N: Hey! How's this chapter?

How do you think the boys got the money? What is their secret?

VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER! ~Katyrules