The Secret of the Chamber

Hermione and I had been searching the library from top to bottom over the next few weeks, but could not find one word of reference to the Chamber of Secrets. We were about to give up until I had a stroke of genius in History class. I raised my hand and cleared my throat so the professor would turn around. He floated around to see what the noise was and called on me. “Excuse me Professor but I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets?”

                “Miss Saint, I deal only in facts not myths and legends.” He said with a little irritation in his voice. Startled from his voice change, the sleeping students popped their heads up to see what was going on.

                Hermione then stretched her hand up quickly and blurted out, “But Professor, aren’t myths and legends based on facts somewhere down the line?”

                Even more irritated, “I suppose so Miss Granger, but as the castle has been searched many times over the years and no one has found any evidence of its existence it holds no truth.”

                Forgetting to raise my hand and be called on I questioned, “If it is warded against everyone but the Heir of Slytherin then how would anyone else would be able to find it? Could you just indulge us in the story and let us decide for ourselves?” There were a few “yeahs” and applause around the room, upsetting the teacher even more until he finally put down his chalk he was using to write on the blackboard.

                “Very well if it will let us get back to our lesson. As you know, many years ago Hogwarts was founded four of the greatest witches and wizards of their time: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. In the beginning they got along quite harmoniously, but one soon wanted to be more selective of the students that attended. He fought with the others about changing the admittance rules, and decided to leave the castle. Before he left, it is said that he built a secret chamber, which houses a most horrific animal that only he can control. Slytherin, sealed it shut and is the only one who knows where it is, or where it would be if it existed. If that is all Miss Saint and Miss Granger, let’s return to the Dwarvan wars of 1882.” He finished as he turned back around.

                I started quietly putting my things back in my bag and thinking about what type of animal could be in the Chamber and if it could have survived this long without eating. If this animal is still alive, is that what Harry heard in the corridor? If it is, why didn’t Hermione or Ron hear it as well? I slowly started to fall back to sleep when I was jolted awake by the sound of the bell ending class. “Well that was an interesting class.”

                “We have a little more information than we had before at least. Though the information was not that helpful was it?” Hermione asked as we walked through the hall.

                “I’m surprised you didn’t catch it Hermione. He said Salazar Slytherin was the creator of the chamber, so the heir must be a Slytherin. I bet it’s Malfoy, you heard him that night ‘You’ll be next Mudbloods.” Ron said dodging other students.

                “I hate to bring down your moment of awesomeness Ron, but I do not think it is Malfoy. If it was him why would he be doing it now? Why not last year? It certainly would have made more work on us, no I just have a feeling that it is a first year, and they do not have to be in Slytherin. Usually the Sorting house puts family members in the same house, but there are enough decades between Salazar and this heir that the heir maybe different. So whoever it is could be a Ravenclaw or even Gryffindor.”

                “Are we even sure this is going to be an issue? I mean it has been what a month since Mrs. Norris was petrified and nothing more has happened.” Harry asked surprisingly.

                “That is true but it seems a bit over kill for a onetime thing don’t you think?” Hermione asked, and as if on cue Harry started walking towards the inner wall. “What is it?”

                “Sshh…I hear something.” He said as he started following an inaudible noise faster and faster down the hall. We quickly followed him straining our ears to hear what he was hearing but could not.

                Not far from the first attack, we stopped running as we saw a student on the floor holding something up to his face. “I believe this is going to be an issue, Harry.” I said as we inched closer to identify the poor petrified student.

                The item boy was holding up to his face was a camera and was what helped identify him. “That’s Colin Creevy. He is a Gryffindor first year, he has been annoying everyone with that camera of his.” Ron said as we go close enough to see him as properly as possible. We could not see his facial expression because of the camera so we were unsure of how much pain he had been in before he was petrified.

                “We need to get out of here before we get caught again. Filch is not far from here, he has been staking out the sight where his cat was petrified.” I said grabbing parchment from my bag. I wrote a quick note to Professor McGonagall about Colin, folded it into a paper crane and sent it flying off with a quick spell before we took off ourselves.

                Out of breath by the time we reached our common room, we fell into four chairs surrounding the fire place exhausted. “Loretta, there is your proof it is Malfoy.” Ron said as he caught his breath.

                “What does a petrified Colin Creevy have to do with Malfoy being the heir of Slytherin or not?” I asked looking shrewdly at him.

                “Creevy is a muggle-born wizard. His family has not had a known wizard in his family for generations until he came along. The only person we know that is against muggle-borns enough to do something like this is Malfoy.” Harry said.

                “I still do not see why it would be him, he is not smart enough to be the one doing this.” I said rubbing my temples as I felt a headache coming. “We have to be missing something or not have enough information yet.”

                “True on both accounts, but where do we go from here? You two said you didn’t find anything in the library and the teachers are not exactly forthcoming.” Harry added.

                “I don’t know…maybe Hagrid would know something. At least about the animal inside the chamber. He is into weird and dangerous animals, remember last year?” I asked chuckling at the memory of Fluffy, Hagrid’s three headed dog.

                “Not funny I still have nightmares about the dog and his dragon. He would be the one to ask though how would we go about asking him without making him suspicious?” Ron asked pulling out some stashed food from dinner.

                “What was the voice saying this time?” I asked leaning forward, towards Harry.

                “Not much, it just repeated over and over it was hungry and wanted to kill. You still didn’t hear it? I want to know why I can hear it and you can’t.” He said falling back into his chair.

                “Maybe you are the heir and do not know it.” I said jokingly but by the shocked look on their faces they did not get it. “It was a joke, just because I am having blackouts doesn’t mean he is too.”

                “Well we have already been caught at one site of attack, once word gets out we were at the second one as well, the whole school will be thinking it is one of us anyway.” Hermione said standing up, “Let’s go to bed and think more about this in the morning with a clear head.” We agreed and headed up to our dormitories for some much needed sleep.

                Again all was quiet for the next few days, but the castle was buzzing with word that Harry was the heir. The mandrakes were not ready yet to be made into an awakening potion, so we could not ask Colin if he had seen the attacker, as the film in his camera had melted when Professor Dumbledore opened it.

                Hermione, Ron and I continued to search the library for any information on Salazar Slytherin, the Chamber and the animal within but could not find anything. Harry could not help as he was off training hard for the first Quidditch game of the year.