Duel Attacks

We were entering October when the attacks really picked up. About two or three every other week, and the teachers were really getting worried which is why sweet misguided Dumbledore has allowed airhead Lockhart to start a dueling club and was made mandatory for everyone under grade six.

                As we walked into the Great Hall, we noticed that the tables had been pushed back to make room for a long stage about waist high. In the middle of the room and a set of short stairs on either end leading to the top. “Well this looks like fun. Do you actually think they will let us duel or will it just be demonstrations?” I asked as we went up to the stage.

                “I don’t know, would be cool if they did though. We could take a crack at Malfoy and turn him into a frog.” Ron said taking out his broken wand.

                “As fun as that would be I do not think that will be a spell they will show us. We are supposed to be learning how to defend ourselves against an attacker. Disarming spells and stuff like that, not turning your enemies into different species.” Hermione explained curbing Ron’s excitement about payback.

                As the last of the students were coming in, Professors Lockhart and Snape were seen standing at opposite ends of the stage. Once everyone was here, the doors shut and they ascended the stage. “Due to recent events, I have been given permission to start this little dueling club. My assistant, Professor Snape, and I are going to be demonstrating different disarming spells and incantations that you can perform when under the duress of an attack. Though as long as I am near there is no need to fear.” He said and then gave his signature toothy grin.

                I whispered to Harry, “Sure, I bet he hasn’t dueled a day in his life and if he has, he lost. That is why he is so ditzy.” The three of us laughed quietly, but Hermione jabbed me hard in the stomach to make me shut up.

                “Now first, you bow to each other,” Lockhart said as he made a big show of bowing to Professor Snape, “come on now Professor give the students a good show.” He said it was apparent that Snape was not going to bow. Instead he gave a slight nod of his head and then went into a beautiful fighting stance.

                Right arm straight, level with his shoulder; his left arm was raised back in a graceful arc and he was standing at a slight angle, as his right leg was out front and his left leg was anchoring him from behind. As Lockhart positioned himself, clumsily, Snape wasted no time in disarming him “Expelliarmus!” Sparks shot out of the end of his wand and connected with Lockhart’s and sent the wand flying.

                The crowd went crazy, either cheering for Snape, or booing because he was successful in his disarming. The boys and I were cheering, while Hermione boo’d and glared at us. “Professor Snape is was too obvious what you were about to do. Had I wanted to I could have deflected it easily but I thought it would be educational for them to see what the spell could do.”

                “I think it would be wise to show them how to deflect spells first, Professor.” Snape said with venom oozing out of his words.

                “Right you are. Let’s try again, but this time I will deflect the spell using a simple shielding charm.”  Once back in position, Lockhart muttered “Protego.” Snape cast his spell and it bounced off an invisible shield back at him. He moved slightly out of the way and it missed him by mere inches. This time there were cheers all around and only a few boos from those who were not fond of Snape.

                “I think that is enough demonstration. Why don’t we pair up the students and let them practice?” Lockhart asked Snape looking a little surprised.

                “Yes, lets.” Snape looked directly at the four of us as he spoke. “I think it is time to break up the dream team. Malfoy, Potter; Weasley, Goyle; Granger, Parkinson; and Saint and Chang.” He said as he called names and paired us up while Lockhart started pairing up others.

                “Hello Chang, I’m Loretta I will be your opponent today.” I said smiling as a quiet mousy Asian girl came up to me after Snape paired us together.

                Softly she answered, “My name is Cho, and I am going to be yours.” She shyly smiled back at me. We walked to a little clearing away from other students and began practicing.

                The shielding charm was proving more difficult than it had appeared, but Cho and I had figured it out and were having fun shooting minor curses at each other and laughing when our shield would fail and wands or ourselves would fly back a few feet. After we tired of our little trysts, we started shooting curses at our friends to test how strong their shields would stand up against two “attackers.” Hermione’s, no surprise, was great but Ron and harry were both hopping around with leg locking curses. Cho and I stood back to back to protect ourselves from any curses being thrown our way once people started to notice what we were doing.

                While I was distracted, sending a curse towards Pansy Parkinson when commotion broke out in Harry and Draco’s direction. Lockhart called for everyone to stop, and we turned towards them. A snake had appeared in front of Harry.

                Snape had stepped up to remove the snake as it turned towards another student and headed straight towards him. Harry started walking forward to the Snake while muttering weird hissing noises. “Harry is a Parseltongue? I didn’t know.” Cho asked quietly as we watched.

                “I didn’t know either. I wonder why he never said anything.” I said a little confounded and confused about what was happening. Harry seemed to be talking to the snake, but whatever he was saying wasn’t working because the snake was still going towards the student. I quickly looked at Snape who looked astonished, snapped out of his momentary lapse and got rid of the snake.

                It was still silent as Hermione, and Ron grabbed Harry and hightailed it out of the great hall. I quickly followed them, but decided to go to the library instead. Something didn’t seem to be adding up, but at the same time it was adding up. I couldn’t quite make the connection but I know there was something bugging me about the whole snake thing.