Valentine's Day

As we entered February, the attacks had stopped and aside from missing students, things had returned to normal. Lockhart had been going around the school boasting that he was the reason everything had stopped. He believed that once the heir decided Lockhart was hot on his tail he decided to stop attacking the students. As a treat Lockhart was planning a big surprise for Valentine’s Day that he thought would raise our spirits.

Indeed there was a surprise, we were walking down to breakfast that morning and the whole castle was decorated with red and pink hearts everywhere. In the great hall there were streamers plastered along the walls and someone had placed a spell on the ceiling to rain down more red and pink hearts that would disappear just before reaching the ground. “Lockhart has totally lost his mind this time. I am all for celebrating a holiday, but seriously this is over kill.” I said looking around at all of the decorations.

“I think it is wonderful! Just the thing to brighten everybody’s moods. Isn’t Lockhart a great guy to do all of this?” Hermione asked smiling like a little kid at Christmas.

“I am not sure if this could get any worse.” Ron said as we sat down. “I spoke to soon. Look at him.” Ron pointed to Lockhart at the teacher’s table. He was dressed in red and pink robes and wearing a big heart shaped hat that every once in a while would sprout tiny hearts much like the ones falling from the ceiling.

“I stand corrected, that is overkill. I think the man has now ruined this holiday for me.” I said digging into breakfast.

“Attention Ladies and Gentlemen, I hope you are enjoying the decorations I have prepared for you. In addition to these, we are having a special lunch prepared with tons of sweet things to eat. Also I have prepaid a special surprise that will surely be delighted by all.” Lockhart stood making his announcement, then he clapped his hands and in walked several dwarves dressed as cupids. “All day long, my cupids will be bringing valentines to students in class and in between classes. Spreading cheer and love throughout the whole day. Not to mention, if asked I am sure Professor Snape will be more than happy to teach you how to create love potions to give to your loved ones and Professor Flitwick probably knows more about love charms than he lets on.”

“Let’s go to class guys.” I said standing up after losing my appetite and leaving my glass of beloved orange juice half full. I started walking to class not sure if they followed behind or not, but for some reason the festivities were starting to get to me and did not mind if they came or not.

As the day went on, I started feeling better. It was pretty amusing watching the little cupids wander around the castle looking for students obviously not enjoying their job. The disgruntled cupids would walk around finding their poor victims, and then either sing or recite an awful poem written by the sender. Then again it is always fun and games until the tables turn.

                We were leaving potions class, when Ron was starting to be followed by a cupid himself. Ron took off running to avoid embarrassment but as Hermione and I stood laughing I felt a tug on my robes. I looked down into the surly face of a cupid. “Are you Loretta Saint?”

                Before I could respond with a no to get rid of him, Hermione and Harry both said yes. I blushed as he began to recite a poem, “Roses are Red, This box is blue, and to you I’ll always be true. Enjoy this gift I give to you.” The cupid said as he handed me a small blue box.

                I took the box blushing, and opened it to find a beautiful sterling silver locket on a silver chain. The locket had an L etched into it on the front and on the back was an F, giving away who sent the cupid.

                “Aww how sweet he gave you a necklace.” Hermione said, looking over my shoulder. I looked up and caught Fred’s eye as he was crossing the hall farther down. He smiled shyly and continued on his way. Before leaving us alone, the cupid showered Hermione and I in heart shaped confetti.

                Hermione helped me put on the necklace, while I watched Harry pick up a small book he dropped. He put it in his bag and we headed off to our next class, hoping Ron had been successful in eluding his cupid and would join us in time. “Well that was embarrassing. I need to think of a way to get Fred back. Any suggestions?”

                “Send him one back, during lunch. Whole school will see it.” Harry offered.

                “That might be too harsh, I could send one while he’s in the common room. Less of a chance of scaring him off.” Hermione said.

                “I like that idea better, I do not want to do something that would completely scare him away.” I said as I played with the locket.

                Later that night we were studying, Harry was writing in the journal and all of a sudden he was sucked into it. I rushed to the other side where Hermione had picked it up and started reading aloud as words started to appear, “Year 1943, The Chamber of Secrets has been opened and the monster that dwells within has killed a female student. I have known who it was for a while now but did not say anything until tonight. Professor Dumbledore informed me that if the person is not caught soon the school will have to close. Should the school close I will have to go back to that wretched children’s home, I did the only thing I could do. I confronted Rubeus Hagrid about his Acromantula, when he denied his involvement and set the spider loose I attempted to kill it but it evaded my spells with ease, running off to where I cannot guess. I told Headmaster Dippit about Hagrid and the spider, Hagrid was kicked out of school and his wand was broken. I on the other hand received a medal for special services to the school.”

                Once the words disappeared, a bright light shone from the pages and Harry was thrown back out landing on the floor. “Harry! What happened?” Hermione asked as she helped him up off the floor.

                “The diary, it-it’s alive…sort of. Tom Riddle, the owner of the diary, has part of his soul trapped in the book. He just showed me what happened the last time the Chamber was opened.”

                “We read what happened. I guess as you were in their viewing the scene words were appearing on the pages. Did Hagrid really open the Chamber and release the monster? Did you catch who it was that died?” I started firing questions at him, so he could hopefully fill in the blanks.

                “Loretta, slow down give him a chance to breathe.” Hermione said trying to get me to calm down.

                “I’m sorry, I just want as much information that I can get before I black out. It seems that anytime something problematic comes up, I check out.”

                “It’s ok, I didn’t get a chance to see who it was that was killed. I doubt that Hagrid had anything to do with it, I think Tom Riddle just pinned it on someone because he was an orphan who did not want to go back to a children’s home. Hagrid was the easiest target after he discovered the pet he was keeping.”

                Hermione then asked, “What type of pet was it?”

                “A giant spider, when Tom seen it, it was the size of a small dog. He fired spells at it but he missed and it scurried off somewhere.”

                “As long as we agree that Hagrid had nothing to do with it, I think we should go talk to him. He was there when it happened, he might have some insight that we don’t know about.” Hermione advised.

                “When should we go? There has not been an attack in a while so how do we know if the Heir hasn’t closed the Chamber or not?” Ron asked.

                “We don’t, we should go down as soon as possible though. Just because there hasn’t been any activity doesn’t mean they are done.” I said, “We could go down tomorrow night after everyone is in bed.”

                “Who all is going? We can’t fit four under the cloak.” Harry ask, actually giving it some thought.

                “You three can go under the cloak and I’ll shift, tagging alongside or one of you could carry me. As long as you don’t kiss me or pet my too roughly, I promise not to bite.” I said as everyone laughed.