10- all i want is a place to call my own

All I want is a place to call my own, to mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone. I hope you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

-

"That's not your shirt," Katie comments as Ashton walks into the kitchen. He dumps his backpack on the table, pulling open the fridge in search of caffeine.

"You're right," Ashton agrees. "It's my boyfriend's."

A smirk rises on Katie's lips. "The blonde?" she teases. "Luke?"

"Nope."

Ashton pulls the carton of cheap iced coffee--that honestly tastes like shi t, but he drinks it religiously--out of the fridge, pouring himself a glass.

"What do you mean no?" Katie asks.

"I mean no, it's not Luke's."

"What, so did you break up?"

Ashton can hear the frustration lacing itself through his stepsister's words, and it makes him grin shamelessly.

"Nope."

"What the hell?" Katie demands. "Are you cheating on him?" A smirk rises in her voice. Ashton doesn't like it. "Because I would love to get with him if you're done."

"I'm not cheating on him!" Ashton exclaims, suddenly angry at her interest in Luke. "He's still my boyfriend."

"What, so you have two boyfriends?" Katie sounds confused and intrigued.

"Three, actually."

-

"Come over."

Calum's voice rings in Ashton's ears, the phone pressed against the dirty blonde's cheek.

"It's after ten," Ashton chuckles. "Your parents haven't even met me, something tells me they don't want me sneaking into their son's room."

"I don't care about my parents," Calum says. There's a hesitant pause, and he corrects himself. "Well, my mom, at least."

Ashton sighs, contemplating whether or not it's a good idea. He wants to go over to Calum's but...

"Text me your address."

-

"I can't believe you actually did it," Calum giggles, helping to pull Ashton through the window of his second story bedroom.

"Yeah me neither," Ashton agrees, collapsing on Calum's bed. He can't help but grin at the lavender walls and the silver bedspread. Calum is such a princess. "Are the other boys coming?"

Calum shakes his head. "Just you and me. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, it's perfect," Ashton smiles softly, beckoning Calum to join him on the pretty boy's bed.

Calum--who's dressed in a loose t-shirt and frilly lace shorts--climbs in next to Ashton, who throws the blanket over both of their legs.

"Any particular reason you wanted me to come over?" Ashton asks, his hand finding a home on Calum's smooth thigh. "Or did you just want to enjoy my pleasant company?"

"You're so full of yourself," Calum rolls his eyes, but he's smiling. "I just didn't wanna be alone."

"But why me? You could've called Michael or Luke," Ashton points out. "Or you could've called all three of us."

Calum shrugs, his head dropping to rest on Ashton's shoulder. "But I wanted you."

Ashton's heart flutters at the words, a strong sense of adoration for the tan boy building up in his stomach. Ashton has never been anyone's first choice--not his mom's nor his dad's and certainly not his stepdad's. Not Luke's--and it makes his stomach feel all kinds of wonderful.