20- my love for you was bulletproof but you're the one who shot me

This isn't fair--no! Don't you try to blame this on me. My love for you was BULLETPROOF but you're the one who shot me. And god dammit, I can barely say your name. So I'll try to write it and fill the pen with blood from the sink.

-

Luke is sobbing as he stumbles through the front door of the apartment, a guilty-looking Ashton in tow. The blonde feels like he's about to puke. A few hours ago he would've welcomed the feeling, but not now. Not after Ashton spilled his life story to the school counselor.

Luke expects to be coming home to an empty apartment, but he's pleasantly surprised when Michael comes running.

"Luke?" he asks, worry lacing his voice and arms wrapping around the blonde. Still choking on his sobs, Luke welcomes his boyfriend's embrace. "Baby, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry," Ashton pleads, tears in his own eyes. Luke sees Michael look up at Ashton, his eyes silently asking what's wrong? "I didn't mean to hurt you," Ashton insists, but Luke keeps his back turned to the dirty blonde.

"What did you do?" Michael asks, his voice carrying an accusing tone.

"I took him to the counselor," Ashton admits, and Luke fists Michael's t-shirt. Feeling the blonde tense, Michael runs his fingers through Luke's hair comfortingly.

"And?"

"I...I thought I was helping," Ashton's voice cracks. Luke winces at how hurt Ashton sounds, but refuses to turn around.

"Why did you think that would help?" Michael asks.

"Because he's been hospitalized for self harm and his parents abused him for eighteen years and he tried to throw up after lunch today and we can't f ucking afford therapy!" Luke can hear the frustration evident in Ashton's voice, mixed with regret. Luke steals a glance at Michael, seeing a conflicted look on the pale boy's face. Luke can tell that he understands Ashton's point of view, but his arms are still wrapped around Luke.

"You can't just tell the counselor that without his consent," Michael insists.

"Mike, his life is constantly at risk! Aren't you worried about him?" Ashton demands. Luke flinches. He doesn't like being talked about as if he isn't in the room.

"Don't you dare accuse me of not caring about him," Michael seethes, his voice an eerie calm that Luke knows means he's very, very angry. He unsuccessfully tries to subdue the whimper that leaves his lips. He doesn't like when Michael is angry, and though he's upset with Ashton, he still doesn't want Michael to hurt him--accidentally or on purpose.

"I'm not trying to accuse you--"

Ashton is interrupted by the sound of the front door opening and slamming and heavy footsteps trudging into the kitchen. All three boys turn to greet their other boyfriend, but their eyes widen at the sight.

Calum's pretty purple dress is torn, his matching lipstick smeared, and he's sporting a black eye that was definitely not caused by makeup.

Luke gasps at the sight, moving to break free of Michael's hold, but Michael has already let go.

"Princess?" Michael says, trying to wrap his arms around Calum, but the injured boy places his hands on Michael's chest and pushes him away. Instinctively, Ashton steps in, putting distance between Calum and Michael.

"Don't you dare call me that," Calum spits, malice lacing his words. A frown tugs at the corner of Michael's lips, confusion scrawled across his face. "You said to call you if anything happened but you didn't answer the fuckin g phone. You said you would be there and you fu cking weren't!" Calum's tone of voice is still angry, but it reveals his pain, too. He feels betrayed, Luke can tell.