22- i'm just a kid with no ambitions, wouldn't come home for the world

TW: hey friends just letting you know that there are some triggering things in this chapter because luke's dad is an asshat with no filter who says very mean things to luke that might trigger some of yall: self harm, the f-slur, slut-shaming, eating disorders, possibly gender identity

-

I haven't been home for a while, I'm sure everything's the same. Mom and Dad both in denial, an only child to take the blame. Sorry, Mom, but I don't miss you. "Father" is no name you deserve. I'm just a kid with no ambitions, wouldn't come home for the world.

-

"C-Cal, I don't w-wanna," Luke pleads, tears filling his eyes. Calum gives Luke a sympathetic look, but even Luke knows that he doesn't have a choice. He has to talk to his parents sooner or later, and he guesses that he would rather do it with the school counselor and one of his boyfriends then do it alone.

"I'm gonna be with you the whole time, okay?" Calum smiles reassuringly up at Luke, but the blonde can see a hint of nervousness in Calum's chocolate eyes. Calum reaches out and takes a hold of Luke's shaking hand, squeezing it lightly.

The two are seated on the couch in the school counselor's office, waiting for Luke's parents to arrive. It's the middle of the day, right after lunch, which Luke couldn't make himself eat. The counselor called him out of third period to explain the situation, telling him that one other person could accompany him. It hadn't taken him long to decide that Calum was the most rational of the three--Michael loses his temper too easily and his father might recognize him, and it wouldn't be right to pull Ashton out of class.

Luke keeps his gaze locked on Calum's slim fingers fit in his larger hand, smiling softly at the boy's pretty manicured nails when he hears the sound of the door opening. Luke feels his body go stiff against his will and he has to fight to control his breathing. He can feel two pairs of eyes burning into him, two pairs of eyes the exact same color as his.

"Where the f uck have you been?" Luke's mother exclaims, enough emotion laced into her voice to make Luke look up. Before he knows it, the same woman who held lit cigarettes to his chest when he was in middle school has thrown her arms around him. Luke tenses, squeezing Calum's hand so tight he thinks that he might accidentally break his bones.

After what feels like a lifetime, Liz pulls away and takes a seat next to her husband on the couch across from Luke and Calum. Calum's thumb is rubbing comforting circles onto the pack of Luke's hand, but it doesn't relieve the uneasy feeling in the blonde boy's stomach caused by his father's glare.

"Your mother asked you a question," Luke's father spits, and the sound of his voice after not having to hear it for weeks is enough to make Luke cower noticeably, curling in on himself.

Luke's mouth is full of cotton. His tongue is lead. He doesn't want to answer, but he's afraid of what will happen if he doesn't. "I-I--"

"He's been staying with me and our friend, Michael," Calum answers cooly, much to Luke's relief.

Andrew's head snaps in Calum's direction, only noticing the pretty boy's presence for the first time. His eyes narrow in disapproval, but his lips turn up in a sneer. "Last I heard, Mikey is Luke's fuc king boyfriend. Isn't that right, Luke?"

Luke nods, feeling his cheeks heat up in shame. He had told his boyfriends about how bad his father was, but he's beyond embarrassed, now that Calum is witnessing it firsthand. "Y-Yes, sir."

"Who are you, anyways?" Liz scoffs at Calum, eyeing the boy's frilly skirt. "Are you transexual?"

Luke wants to roll his eyes at his mother for judging Calum based on his gender expression and for using the wrong terminology, but the frail boy knows better.