Adrie Chase

18 MONTHS AGO

I sighed, slumping around the school, nowhere to go or to be. Sixth grade orientation was boring. I couldn't wait to get home and live out my last days of summer.

"Here, practice your locker," Mom said, pointing at the distasteful box. "Do it, Adrie."

I leaned on the locker and bend down. 8.. 18... 32.. and tada, the locker is open!

"Good, now close it and do it again." Mom ordered.

I sighed and do it again... 8.. 18.. 32. 

"Now lets go home," I whined. "Please."

"You have your schedule and agenda and stuff right?" Mom put away her phone in her bag.

"Yeah," I mused. "To the car, now."

Mom started walking.

My eyes lit up as I thought of something. "Oh, by the way, what's for lunch?"

"Didn't think of it yet," she mused.

"Could it be ramen?" My eyes begged her.

"No." She sternly disagreed. 

"Okay," I sighed. That was that. It was worth a try.

:(

"You're gonna be late! RUN!" my mom shouted. I nodded. My shoes were barely on and the hot air seemed to hate me. I hiked through my favorite short-cut through the grass. Thankfully it wasn't wet.

My legs slowed down. I was almost there. My breathing just quickened. I slowed to a walking pace. This was it. I fixed some of my hair and acted as cool as I could. 

The other kids seemed just as shy. Everyone looked in a different direction, except a pair of girls who looked like seventh graders. Lucky them.

A few minutes of thinking vigorously later, the bus pulled up. I got on the bus and examined the interior. It looked small and cramped, with only five or six hundred people inside. I face-palmed internally. Of course my stop was the last stop.

With a quick look, the only good seat was with a shy girl in the front.

"Can I sit here?" I said softly.

She nodded and slid away, giving me room on the outside.

"Are you a sixth grader?" I asked the girl. This girl was very pretty. Her chocolate hair was frizzy, but the humid weather should do that to anybody. She looked like she just came out of a tornado, with her hair in a bun and her shoes half way on.

She froze a little. She took in a sharp breath and replied. "Yes. Are you a sixth grader?"

I shrugged. "Yeah." 

"Okay." She exhaled a little. Her eyes looked outside the window. I didn't know what to do. 

"What's your name?" I said.

She whispered something.

"What?" I leaned my head in to try to get the name.

"Lynne," she said more clearly. 

"Lynne?" I tried the name out.

"Yup, Lynne," she said. "What's your name?"

"I'm Adrie," I informed her, since she clearly only spoke when I spoke.

"Hi, Ad-rie," she smiled gently. 

"So, what class are you in...?" I said, taking out my schedule.

And that was how we kicked it off, Lynne and I. 

:)

"My birthday party is tomorrow.." Lynne said. "You'll come right?'

"Of course! We went over this 70 times before. I'll come, and we'll have a great time." I reassured her. "I'll text you when I'm ready to come."

"Thanks, Adrie. Bring your swimming suit, by the way.."

:}

Lynee

*Lynne

LYNNE

I was texting Lynne but she didn't reply.

when do i com over

LYNNNNEEEEEEEEE

I sighed. My fingers itched. I was so bored. It was the morning and I already finished breakfast 

ok im just gonna com over 

I clicked off the phone and told my mom that I was heading to Lynne's. I already knew the way to her house, it was easy...

When I got to Lynne's house something strange was going on.

:-/

You should report her if you really believe it," Amber said.

Frustration bled into my voice. "To who? The principle? Besides, if I tell they might experiment on her."

"Guys. I think she actually believes that Lynne is a mermaid." Amber said to her friends.

One of her friend group stepped out of the crowd.

"Who's Lynne?" the African American girl said.

"You don't need to know." I said, turning away. 

"Lynne Lo?" she said.

"Yeah, that one," I replied quickly. "You know her?"

"Yeah. I think. How do you know her?" she said.

"She's my friend." I said.

"Some friend you are.." she retorted suddenly. She stormed away and I just sighed. Lunch time was over.

"Hi." another random girl popped her head towards me.

"Hi." I replied.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "Are you sick? You look pale and about to cry, to be honest."

"Hm. Just tired," I said. It wasn't lying, but I didn't want to tell her everything about my life.

"Oh. Me too. Can't wait for Friday, right?" she said. 

"Yup," I said. 

"And by the way, I think it's cool that you believe in mermaids." she said.

"Oh, thanks. What's your name?" I said. I readjusted my face to make it seem like I was happy.

"Aleah. Yours?"

"Adrie."

"Ooh, I like that name."