Chapter 10

Wilbur brought the two mares with him the next day, and we let them loose in a pasture with Thunder. At first Thunder was confused and skittish around the mares, but the old habits of being a stud stallion quickly kicked back in.

"They'll have to stay with him for about a week or so, just to ensure he gets them pregnant. Then I'll come get them again and have the vet take a pregnancy test on them. Here's the money for the breeding." Wilbur mumbled as he held out his hand with a cheque in it. I took the cheque out of his hand and stared at the amount of money scribbled on it. My eyes widened at the amount.

"$16 800!" I asked in amazement. Wilbur smirked and shook his head.

"Yeah, I did some research on Andalusian stud fees and the most apparent fee for one session is about $1 200, so I went on that amount and multiplied it with seven since they have to stay a week and doubled it since it is two mares." Wilbur explained as he looked at the horses down in the pasture. I smiled down at the cheque and had to bite my lip so as not to scream out in joy.

"Thank you Wilbur, I appreciate it so much." I exclaimed as I threw my arms around his neck and pulled him into a long, tight hug. Wilbur was resistant at first, but then quickly folded his arms around my waist and held me against him.

"I will always help a friend." Wilbur replied as he pulled away and looked down at me with slightly sad eyes. I could tell that he was unsure about how to deal with what happened yesterday, I myself was confused by it to.

"Well then, I have to go deposit this cheque, so if you don't mind I'm gonna leave now." I declared as I stepped away and headed towards my car. A strong hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me to an abrupt halt. I gulped nervously as I waited for what he was about to say.

"I'm sorry about yesterday, I didn't mean to kiss you. I just missed you more than I thought I did." Wilbur admitted in a low whisper as I kept my back to him. Without turning around I shrugged nonchalantly. My heart ached similarly to the day it did when he turned his back  on me.

"No harm done." I assured him in the plainest, most unhurt voice I could manage as tears burned my tear ducks. Wilbur released my wrist and granted me an escape to my car, and some distance form him.

The drive into town was spent on wishing the tears away, if people saw me crying it would be all over town. I drove directly to the bank and deposited the cheque with an excited smile on my face.

"Well someone got paid good." The girl behind the desk queried as she worked on her computer. I smiled politely and slightly nodded my head.

"I guess, I have a stud stallion, so Wilbur brought a few of his mares to him." I told her as she looked up with surprise.

"Oh, what breed?" She asked curiously, her eyes sparkling with interest.

"Uhh...he's a Andalusian." I told her with pride creeping into my voice. The girls face lit up like Times Square on New Year's Day and a wide smiled spread across her face.

"That's amazing, my pops have a few Andalusian mares, but he has a hard time getting them to registered studs. I'll tell him about you, if you want that." The girl offered as her bright smile stayed intact. I couldn't keep the excited smile from creeping onto my face as I nodded in agreement.

"That would be great, but I have to go now. I'll see you around." I replied, the girl waved me off as I made my way out of the bank. I was barely out the door when I barreled into a tall, hard body. I looked up and was about to mutter a apology when Brian's bright smile wiped my brain clean. 

"Well Macey May, ain't I a lucky guy to be nearly walked over by you?" Brian joked as he poked me lightly on the arm. I blushed and I tried to pry my eyes away from the Greek god in front of me. 

Damn him for being so handsome.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going." I apologized to him while I shuffled uncomfortably on the spot.

"No need cupcake, I've been meaning to call you actually." Brian admitted as he slowly led me out of the bank and under a tree on the sidewalk. I looked up at him with curiosity as to why he wanted to call me.

"Well I'm here now, why did you want to call me?" I questioned him with a mischief smile forming on my lips. Brian grinned excitedly as he took hold of my hand and led me to a small cafe on the corner of the block. We took a window seat and ordered two coffees.

"Well I wanted to know if you are free tonight?" Brian asked as he sat back in the booth. I stared at him, too in shock to reply, only when he quirked a questioning brow did my brain make sense of the question.

"Oh, um...yeah, sure. I don't have anything planned. Where are we going." I accepted his offer. Clearly I had said the right thing since Brian's face lit up and he leaned forward on his arms.

"Well a new bar has opened about two months ago. I've been there a few times and it's really nice. You up for a good dance and company?" Brian asked confidently. I smiled and nodded my head in agreement.

When our coffees came we continued to talk about all the changes that has happened in town and all the newbies that have moved in. I expertly avoided to talk about most of my life in New York, preferring too listen to Brian instead.

I had forgotten what great company Brian really is, and I was excited for what was to come later tonight.

#####

The mares Wilbur brought over