Chapter 35

Joan's POV

As John and Paul continued to attack each other, I sighed contentedly, leaning back into George, who gave me a big, toothy grin. We both looked up at the stars. It wasn't very cold, but it was very dark, and seeing all of those beautiful stars made me fall in love all over again.

Everything had been so euphoric recently, I don't think I'd ever been that happy before in my life. Sure, I'd miss my mum and Heather, but everything was exactly like I'd always wanted it.

Julia was back to her happy, healthy self, and she'd forgiven Jude. John and Paul were good friends again, and I'm pretty sure Paul and Clarissa were happy together, and God, then there was George. He was everything I ever imagined or could've wanted in a guy. If only Hermione could know how happy she made all of us.

"Guys its starting!" Julia declared, and John and Paul both looked up. A huge burst of colour spread through the sky.

"Its official!" Paul beamed. "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

"Paul keep it down, you're ruining it." George grinned, and we both looked back up, taking my hand in his. It was a beautiful display of reds and greens and blues that just seemed like magic. The way my life was going, it wouldn't surprise me if it was magic. After about an hour though, they died down, and things went back to normal.

"Anyone else coming in the pool? The waters fine!" John invited. The three of us all shook our heads. I was wearing one of my favourite dresses, and I couldn't have it ruined.

"George!" I yelped as he picked me up, and walked over to the poolside. "Don't you dare! George no, no, no! STOP!"

He jumped in, still holding me, and the freezing water instantly brought goosebumps all up my arm.

"Oh my god Joan!" Julia was sitting a the side of the pool laughing, so I swam over to her, quickly pulling her in, and she let out a squeal, trying to grab onto something to keep her steady, but she could only find Clarissa, who was plunged into the cold water too. We were all quickly in laughing fits.

"Come on you two, don't be a drag!" Ringo rolled his eyes, and Jude shook her head once more. She was always really stubborn when she didn't want to do something. Ringo gave her a shrug, and lifted her up, as George had done to me, and she began kicking and trying to wriggle free while the rest of us all laughed. Then there was an almighty splash, and the two of them stood frozen in the cold water.

"H- happy now? You can stop giving us funny looks." Ringo looked annoyed, but it was pretty obvious that he wanted to get in the pool.

"Funny looks... Why does that ring a bell?" I looked up at Julia, who was looking at me wide eyed, and suddenly it hit me. "The funniest looks!"

"Funny looks? What are you guys talking about?" Jude looked frustrated now. I knew she WS going to sulk for a little while, until she adjusted to the water.

"Oh come on Jude, I know its been over a year but you can't have forgotten." Julia tried to help her get it. "Um, how does it go..."

"Badum, here we come... Walking down the street... We get the funniest looks from... Everyone we meet." I started, and she quickly joined me, and Jude suddenly looked ecstatic.

"Hey, hey we're the Monkees!" We all sang, and only then did I realise the really funny looks we were getting off the guys.

"It starts today! Its new years! Oh my God its going to be the fist time I've seen the Monkees in over a year!" Julia squealed, throwing her arms around John in excitement. He just looked at us like we'd all gone completely potty.

"Its a TV show, surely Brian told you about them? Their entire series is based off of a Hard Days Night?" I prompted George.

"Oh, he said something about them, yeah. Didn't think they sounded very good." He shrugged.

"When I was growing up, there were 9 people I wanted to marry, that was you four, the Monkees and Keith Moon. They are amazing!" George looked a little hurt. "But of course, there's only one person I'd want to marry now."

I gave him a peck on the cheek and he rolled his eyes.

"Alright, whatdya say we go and get some sleep, cos if none of you guys want to come I'm gonna cut out." He declared.

"Cut out. 60s slang is just so confusing sometimes, I thought you we're going to say that if none of us were coming you were going to cut us." I laughed. "But yeah I'll come."

"Alright guys, goodnight!" He called to the others, and we went to go and get dressed. As I laid awake in bed I couldn't help but marvel at how lucky I really was. I had the Beatles, the Monkees, and the best friends any girl could ever want. I really loved them all.

A/n Thank you so much for reading cx an I'm so glad to be part of this book, ly all! xx