chap 1) before luke

Everyone goes through tough times. No one has it easy.

Everyone has been sad, everyone has been heartbroken. But as Delilah Larkerson sat there, staring at the tall lanky blonde in-front of her, she starts to think about how much life can change. She remembered him, and shes sure everyone else does too.

He didn't have any friends, but he didn't seem like he needed any. He practically oozed perfection, and his presence made anyone anxious. His name was Luke, and he had daring eyes with a sad smile.

Luke was sketchy, not that he was scary, and that everyone was cautious, he was just, unreal. He knew everything, but he didn't know that he knew everything. He was so smart, but no one ever questioned it. He never talked, and he was gone during lunch.

He was a walking mystery, but at the same time, he wasn't.

Everyone knew not to say a word to him. Luke was 17, and from what everyone could see, he already had 10 tattoos. He was everything to Delilah, and to everyone else he was nothing at all.

When Delilah was younger, Luke had seas and seas of people to lean on. He was adventurous, funny, and curious. he was him. He was strange, and bad things were always happening to him. Karma was his only friend.

Delilah remembered once in 5th grade, he brought a hamster who he named Britney Spears to school, and she ended up dying the day of.

And once in 7th, he fell over two whole sets of stairs. Two.

After 9th, no one ever heard of him again. Delilah wasn't really friends with him, she just knew of him. Everyone knew of him.

No one found out what happened to Luke, why he was mute, or why he was dragged out of class at exactly 1:30 every single Friday to see the counselor.
No one knew anything about him.
He was just Luke, tall, handsome, cigarette-smoking Luke with an old silver truck that was the first car you'd see when you left school.

He was everything Delilah wanted and everything she couldn't have, and then she remembered,
Everyone has been through tough times, everyone has been sad, and everyone has been heart broken. Delilah's tough time was the time she lost any ability to say a word to him, and she's still sat there wondering what his tough time was.