chap 16) before maybe's

"Why the hell are you always fucking fighting with me, Lucifer?"

Luke sighed, a deep, deep sigh. He tugged at his blonde hair and squeezed his eyes shut. She had never swore at him.

"I'm not, Delilah." He whispered harshly, but then instantly regretting every word he said.

"OK," She said, inching her body closer to his, inhaling in his scent. She was ready, and her long nails were tapping on his dining room table that was littered with many photos.

"What're you going to do when you turn 18? Are you going to college?" She asked him, taking his large hand his hers and tracing circles on his palm.

She didn't want to fight with him, and she knew he didn't want to fight with her. Fighting never got anyone anywhere.

"I don't know, Del." He replied, shoving his hand away from her hers and slamming his head down onto the dining room table.

He knew exactly what he was going to do, but there was no way in hell he telling her.

Delilah sighed, slowly moving away from his body and to the couch, she was exhausted.

Exhausted of arguing with him, exhausted of feeling things he wouldn't feel back, and exhausted of wondering if somewhere in his crazy future, she was involved.

She wanted to be with him forever, and maybe he didn't want to. maybe she was a one time thing and he always fell in love with one time things.

maybe she was just pretty and vulnerable and willing and he had pretty eyes and soft hair.

maybe, maybe, maybe.

"Why do you always ask me that?" He questioned, and he knew the answer, but he wanted to hear it come from her.

"No reason." She responded, because she wasn't ready to tell him why. She already gave him everything she had and she wasn't going to give him anymore.

"OK, Delilah."

"Alright, Lucifer." She replied. And they were silent like that for 22 minutes and a couple seconds, before he broke the silence,

"Hey there, Delilah," Luke sung, getting up from the dining room table and walking slowly towards the couch.

"What's it like in New York City?" And with every line he sung, he got closer to her.

"I'm 1000 miles away, but girl," He said, and he sat next to her and kissed her hair.

"Tonight you look so pretty, yes you do," And he kissed her temples.

"Town square can't shine as bright as you," He continued, taking her small hand and planting yet another kiss on it.

"I swear it's true. Hey there, Delilah, don't you worry about the distance."

He picked her up from the couch and she smiled softly. "I'm right here if you get lonely, give this song another listen, close your eyes."

And so she did, she closed her eyes and imagined they weren't teens who were helplessly in love and hanging on each-other's last word.

"Listen to my voice, it's my disguise, I'm by your side." He spun her around and dipped her, and spun her around again because she looked beautiful in motion.

"Oh, it's what you do to me, oh it's what you do to me." And he planted on last kiss on her lips, because they were only young for so long, and in the meantime, she was everything he needed.