chap 17) before christmas

Delilah was wrapping her large trench coat around her body, taking small steps down the stairs of the school.

Today was her last day of school, it was winter vacation, and she was planning on spending it with Luke, who's birthday was in 5 days, the day right before Christmas.

Luke was outside the school, one hand shoved into his leather jacket and the other holding a white rose.

His hair was messy, like when he ran his hand through it multiple times when he was nervous.

Delilah pushed it aside, he looked too cute for her to overthink everything.

"Here ya go, madame." He said, smiling cheekily and handing her the rose.

"Why, thank you, kind sir." She responded in an accent, smelling the rose and smiling back at him.

So Luke led her to the door, before going to his own and getting in the car.

"You excited for your birthday?"

"What..?" His head popped up, realization dawning on him, before he slowly nodded, "Yeah, sure."

"You sure sound convincing, Lucifer." She said, raising an eyebrow and sending a quick text to her mom before shoving her phone back into her pocket.

"It's whatever, just another year closer to death, it's nothing." He said. Luke was pushing and pushing, wishing Delilah would just drop the topic altogether, she caught that, and eventually she dropped it.

"OK, Luke." She said, sighing and closing her eyes. She was tired, and she didn't want an argument.

"Want to pass by your house to pick up some things?" He asked her, assuming she was going to sleep over, after all, she always did.

"Um, no. Could you just leave me at home? Thanks." She said, silently, avoiding eye contact.

Luke's face fell, "Oh, alright.."

"Yeah."

So Luke took her home, and gave her a big kiss goodnight, and helped her bring her books into her home.

~

Delilah was in her bedroom, searching for a photo she took with Luke a while ago on her polaroid.

She found it in a box under her bed, and smiled real big once she did.

She took a sharpie marker, and flipped the photo around, then she wrote 11/26/14 on the back.

She turned the picture back around, and wrote,

happy birthday, lucifer -delilah from new york city

She wrote it in lowercase because she knew he hated it. And maybe somewhere in the span of 10 years from now he'd remember her, and their young love story.

Delilah put the photo in her trench coat pocket, and threw herself into her bed, closing her eyes and dreaming of a world where she and Luke weren't just a young love story.