Chapter 6

Aaliyah~

He leads me up the stairs into what I'm assuming is his bedroom. "I'll be right back. Make yourself at home." He leaves and I awkwardly stand there in the middle of a mans room. Whom I barely know, I might add.

What has gotten into me? I would never do something like this. Going into a famous strangers house after a few days of knowing him. It's absolutely crazy.

But it doesn't feel that way.

I look around and notice a picture on his dresser. I slowly walk over to it and carefully pick it up. It's a picture of an old man and woman about the age of eighty. The woman has warm, brown eyes, just like Theo's. And the man has light blue ones. They stand in an Autumn background, the leaves brown, red, and orange. I assume they're his grandparents, the ones who owned the house.

I put it down, afraid of breaking it. I wouldn't want to shatter such a beautiful picture. Especially with the people he cares most about. Even though he only talked about them once, it doesn't matter. It wouldn't matter if he talked about them a million times, the smile on his face that lit up his eyes, just shows how happy they make him.

I suddenly have a desperate longing to see that smile on his face. I grin at the picture, stroking my finger along the side. What I would have given to grow old with the the love of my life.

"Those are my grandparents." he says. I jump a little at the sound of his deep voice, echoing through the big room,"the ones who gave me the house." I glance back at the picture, rubbing the bit of dust from my fingers.

"It's a beautiful picture. You all look so happy." I look at him, and he smiles at his feet, in a way that makes him look shy.

"Yeah. We were." It falls silent and he shoves his hands in his pockets. "How about we get to know each other better?" I chuckle, and cock my head to the right.

"I didn't even think about that. I'm in a strangers house right now." That's a lie. I've been thinking about it since I got into your car. He smirks and walks to the bed, sitting down and gesturing to the spot next to him.

"Let's change that, shall we?" I happily sit down on the plush mattress and take my shoes off, crossing them on the bed. He leans against the headboard, his muscles relaxing underneath his t-shirt.

Keep your eyes up, Aaliyah. For gods sake.

"So.. What's your favorite color?" I scrunch my face up and look up.

"It would have to be.. Blue." He nods, his smile not quite dissolving.

"Good choice. Your turn, love." I blush for the hundredth time today, and I look up at him.

"What was your first pet?" He grins, a look of remembrance falling upon his face in a beautiful way.

"My first pet was a dirty gutter rat." I shake my head at him and laugh. "In my defense, I was an eight year old boy."

"I guess that could count for something." I bite my lip and look down. When I look back up, I find him staring at me with wonder in his eyes. "What?" I hope I don't have something on my face. Please don't let me have something on my face.

"I just find you beautiful. No, beautiful isn't a strong enough word." I feel my face get hotter and hotter. I honestly probably look redder than the color red, if that's even possible. I struggle to find words.

"W-well.. I wouldn't say that." I look down in embarrassment. I know I'm not pretty. And I don't know why he says I am. We had this conversation on Friday and I don't know why he seems so determined to change my mind.

"Why not?" I halfheartedly laugh and shrug my shoulders, biting the inner corner of my lip, trying to force my lips to turn upwards.

"Because I just wouldn't." Ever since Tyler left me, my self esteem hit an all time low. I thought he left me because I wasn't good enough. And even though it's been four years.. I can't get over it. I look down and choke down tears.

Or at least I try to.

"Hey." I keep staring. "Aaliyah look at me." I look up, a pathetic tear falling from my cheek. "You are gorgeous, independent, kindhearted, funny, and everything good. I know he left you, and it's been hard. But that is the worst mistake anyone could've made, and he knows it." He grabs my face with both of his hands and stares into my eyes. More tears fall. "Don't let him control you."

"I can't do this anymore. I can't see them everyday. I told them that I was transferring Riley, but I can't do that to her. All of her friends.. Where else would she go? I just-" I break down again. He probably thinks I'm a hopeless lunatic, begging for attention.

"I'll help you." His words shock me. He ducks his head, trying to keep my face aligned with his, searching my eyes for hope.

"You shouldn't have to do that for me." He shakes his head and leans in closer, the heat between the two of us blissfully painful and unquestionable.

"I know I don't have to. I want to. It's the least I can do." He thinks for a moment,"how about I take you out tonight? It would take your mind off things, and then we could really get to know each other. It doesn't have to be a date. Just a friendly outing." Would it really be so bad? There's no way it could get worse than what's happened. What could go wrong?

"I'd love that."