Chapter 29

Aaliyah~

After me and Theo had reunited, all I wanted was Riley. And sleep. My seizures have been getting better. They said that they don't know why, but that it's a miracle.

I currently sit on the bed, my feet dangling off. I swing them back and forth, lost in thought. I've been walking around the hospital. Working on getting stronger. My eye isn't swollen, but still cut up and a little purple. My ribs are slowly healing. My shoulder hurts, but I'm getting pain medication for it. I'm still a little sensitive to the light, and overall I'm healing quickly.

But I still feel broken.

I stand up ready to walk out when the door opens. I look down and Riley stands there waiting for me to pick her up. Theo stands behind her.

"Mommy!" I chuckle.

"Hi, sweetheart. I can't pick you up right now." Her face drains. My heart hurts. I've been feeling so sorry for myself that I haven't even considered how hard this must've been for her.

"Theo says that you hurt.." I nod, but I smile.

"I'm alright, baby. Come here." I pat the bed beside me and she gingerly walks over. Theo picks her up and puts her on the bed. He sits next to me and I put my arm around Riley.

"Mommy, you look different." I lower my gaze, and Theo lightly squeezes my hand. I half-heartedly laugh. Forcing it out.

"I know." She looks up at me, analyzing my face, then furrowing her eyebrows.

"Your hair is very short." Not realizing it, my hand flies up to my hair. I run my fingers through it, knots coming undone.

I don't know what to say to her.

---

Theo~

I can see the pain behind her eyes as she tries to speak. It kills me to see her this way.

Cuts mark her body and I can barely look at her without imagining what must've happened to her. She's injured and every time I see a bruise or a cut, I involuntarily clench my fists.

All I can picture is their hands on her. Touching her. It makes me sick to my stomach. The things they must've done to her.

And although she's clearly beaten, she's still the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. Her eyes have lost the light that was once behind them. Her smile has faded, her voice cold and lifeless. She has changed regardless of what I want to believe. But I couldn't love her more.

Riley is staring at her. I can tell Aaliyah's nervous as she is twiddling her thumbs. She bites her lip. I love when she does that.

"It looks good doesn't it, Riley?" I step in and Aaliyah sighs. She looks at me and her eyes say thank you. I smile at her.

"Yes it does, I've never seen mommy with hair that short." None of us say anything for a while. My phone breaks the silence in the room. Aaliyah flinches at the sound, backing away, fear in her eyes. I grasp her hand and she relaxes.

"I should take this." I kiss her forehead and walk out, answering the phone. "Hello?"

"Did you just decide to drop off the face of the earth?" Arren.

"It's been rough." He sighs.

"I understand that. But you can just completely forget about your career for.. for some girl-"

"First of all, she isn't just some girl. I love her, Arren. Do you seriously expect me to be fine after all of this? Do you know what she's been through? She was in a living nightmare and you just expect me to sit back and do absolutely nothing to save her? I will-"

"Calm down, mate. I get it. I'm sorry. But we need you in England. Immediately. You have a great opportunity for a new movie, and we got you an audition! How does that sound!"

"It sounds like I'll have to leave Aaliyah." Again, he sighs. I can feel his anger through the phone, but I couldn't care less.

"Listen, kid. I get it. She means the world to you. But we both know she wouldn't want you to destroy your career." I know she wouldn't. All she would do is blame herself.

"And if I get the part?"

"Then you play it. You're going. It's in two days. Make the most of it."

How am I going to tell her?

----

Aaliyah~

Theo has stepped out of the room, and he's been out for a while.

Riley is talking to me about school. Her friends, her homework, recess, lunch. Everything. And I love every minute of it. No matter how many times she repeats herself, I can't get enough of it.

This is what I missed. Talking with her. Her little four year old lisp never gets old. The wonder in her eyes as she talks to me about the things she loves. I smile a little bit.

The door opens, and I look up to see my mother.

"What do you want?" The words come out bitter and hateful, but I don't mean for them to. It's a habit. She never come in unless she wants something. And about four years ago it was nothing to do with me and Riley.

"You've been missing for days. My god, you're a wreck." She looks me up and down and squeezes me into a tight hug. I cry out and she pulls back, her face confused.

"My shoulder." I don't say anything else. I wait for her. I feel tired, and I don't know if I can deal with her right now.

"How's my little Riley?" Before she can get to her, I stand in between them. "Oh, c'mon, Aaliyah. I raised you better than this."

"No. You didn't raise me at all. I was left to fend for myself." She crosses her arms and stares me down.

"I put food on your table and clothes on your body. I gave birth to you. How dare you say I didn't raise you."

"There's more to being a mother than to pay for their needs. For example, always staying with your daughter no matter what she's done, or even how much you disapprove of it. And you know, being there when she needs you to be."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I scoff at her.

"Why are you here?" She suddenly becomes offended. As if I didn't need to ask her because she's such a caring mother.

"To check on you." I shake my head and sit down, becoming dizzy.

"No. Why are you here? In my life? You didn't want anything to do with me or Riley and all of a sudden here you are. Pretending to be the worlds greatest grandparent."

"People change."

"But you don't."

"Aaliyah-"

"Did you forget? Did you forget that you kicked me to the street when I needed you the most?" Hot tears fill my eyes. Theo walks in and I can't stop myself. I stand up and slowly inch towards her, pointing my finger at her chest. "You have no right being back in my life. I hate you for leaving me. And I hate you for never being there. Not only when I had Riley, but throughout my whole life. I hate you for being so selfish. So what do you want? Money? Huh? What is it? Because god knows you didn't come here out of the goodness in your heart." I would keep going but Theo grabs my wrist and pulls me away from her.

I realize I have backed her against the wall. She doesn't say a word. She stands there, dumbfounded. And then she just walks away.

I don't regret a thing.