Chapter 19

Aaliyah~

I wake up in a trance. My head still pounding. My vision still blurred. I almost forget where I am. Then I remember the screams, and the darkness.

And suddenly, my body becomes cold, like there's lead in my veins. I should've known I couldn't trust that man. Something was just pulling me here, like everything depended on me being here. I suppose feelings can be dangerous. But I guess I already knew that.

I never thought I would end up in a situation like this. All I've ever thought about is Riley, and how everything affects Riley. What is she going to do if I'm stuck here? I'll find a way out.

I see things like this on the news all the time. All of these bad things are happening to good people, but I never thought much of it. Something like that happening to me never would have entered my mind. I was never worried about it. I see now that I should've been.

"Take her out." My heart starts racing, and my palms become sweaty. I've been in here way too long, the air in here becoming hot and hard to breathe. The floorboards open up, and somebody yanks me out. "C'mon let's go." They shove me out of the door, and I squint as the sun blinds me. The duct tape around my mouth slowly falls off and when it does, I don't hesitate to asks questions.

"Why me?" The guy laughs, and shoves me into the back of the car. He gets in the front, and starts it, not saying anything for a long while.

"Why does it happen to anyone, sweetheart." I bite the inside of my lip, wondering how people go through this kind of stuff. Some people have it worse than me. And all I can think about is myself. But that's all I can do right now.

"Where are we going?" I don't know how I find the courage to ask my kidnapper all of these questions, but I have this feeling that it's going to be okay. My mind screams doom, but my heart says that I need to just hold on. I choose to listen to my heart. It makes me feel better about this whole situation. And I could use a little hope right now.

"We're going to a warehouse outside of the city." He pushes a button, and the speakers start to blast. I cringe, and he turns it down, and changes the channel, and after a long while of commercials, and songs, and news reports, I'm wide awake after hearing my name.

"Last night, we got a report of a missing person. Aaliyah Carter. 27 years old. Brown hair, brown eyes. If anyone has seen her, please contact the police immediately." The man in the front laughs and turns the radio off, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel.

"They're looking for you. But they aren't going to find you." His voice is a little too chipper for my liking, considering the circumstances. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

"You don't know that. They do this kind of thing all the time. They'll find me." The tone behind my voice suggests otherwise. He shakes his head, and looks at me through the mirror, his eyes black and cold.

"I guess that's true. But they also still have missing people from twelve years ago. You're just a naive girl, aren't you?" I stare at him blankly, knowing that he's right. They might not find me.

Hope starts to seep out of me, breaking away piece my piece. And then I remember that Theo was there. He knows where I was taken. They have somewhere to start. At least they aren't working with nothing.

And that's what I repeat over and over in my head to make myself feel better.

"I have a little girl," his features soften and he looks back at me,"She's four years old. Her name is Riley." He forces his face to become as still as a statue.

"Her father can take care of her." A tear falls down my cheek as I speak.

"She doesn't have a father. He left when I was pregnant with her. You're taking away a little girl's support system. Her grandparents don't support a kid born out of wedlock. I have no other family, or friends. Do you realize what you'll be doing to that little girl?" Another tear falls down my face at the thought of Riley sitting at home wondering where I am. I don't expect her to understand. But I would give anything to feel her tiny finger wrap around mine.

"What about that man that came looking for you?" My head immediately starts to viciously pound. I blink hardly, and a sharp pain smacks the left side of my head and I scream,"Shut up!" His voice is loud and overwhelming, but I can barely hear him through the pain.

I rock back and forth. I've been getting so many of these headaches as I leave my head untreated. The sun shining right in my eyes doesn't help.

I start to breath harshly. I'm hyperventilating. The man frantically starts looking back at me as I scream out in excruciating pain.

"Will you be quiet?" Everything starts spinning around, and I can't comprehend anything he's saying to me. All I hear is muffled talking, and my screams. I feel something pierce into my arm, and within seconds, the pain starts to dull, and I can't see anything. And suddenly, I'm out like a light.