Chapter 12

Aaliyah~

I don't know what to do; don't know what to think. I got home and sent Lola off with tons of money. Tears were falling down my face, and I knew she could see them, though she didn't say anything about it. I'm glad she has the common sense not to.

I almost completely threw myself at him without knowing him enough to do so.

I just don't understand. I know he was with another girl. But I don't know why. And I don't know why it bothers me so much. He had just tried to kiss me, and then he goes off with someone else? Was it my fault? Was it because I didn't kiss him back?

I have to get some sleep. I have to work tomorrow and I can't look like I just woke up from a night of alcohol. I would get fired.

I take some sleeping pills and try to finally relax. Even if it's chemical induced.

~

I wake up to the annoying buzzing of my alarm clock. I'm not late this time.  I get up and get ready. I put on a black and white striped dress with a red belt. The sleeves come down to the middle of my forearm and the neckline comes to my neck. The dress comes down a little past the middle of my thigh. I put on red heels and leave my hair in its usual waves.

After putting on some makeup I wake Riley up and dress her. When we eat, she doesn't really say anything. Which is unusual. I feel her head, and it's not fevered.

"Are you feeling okay, sweetheart?" She shoves another spoonful of cereal in her mouth.

"Yes mommy, I'm sleepy." I nod and kiss her forehead, brushing her hair back.

"You still have to go to school." She smiles.

"I can't wait to go to school! I hope that.. uh.. uh.. Tyler! I hope he is there again." She laughs and eats some more, but I've lost my appetite. I drop my spoon and it rings against the glass.

What am I supposed to do? I never expected her to meet him. I never wanted her to meet Tyler, and over the past week, I haven't really thought about him. How could I when Theo was making me feel like Tyler never did; never could? Tyler isn't capable of making someone feel the way Theo made me feel. He isn't capable of loving someone other than himself.

But apparently, Theo is exactly the opposite. Theo can go around and make any girl feel special within a matter of minutes.

Theo.

Last night feels like a dream. I wasn't myself. I would never call a babysitter in the middle of the night just to see a man. Just to go kiss someone. I don't know what I was thinking. I must've been delusional from loss of sleep.

But it was so real. All the emotions I felt. The excitement, the happiness, the pain, the embarrassment. Especially the embarrassment.

I feel a little hand on my head and I look down at my little blonde haired girl. Concern reads all over her face.

"Are you okay, mommy?" I laugh.

"I'm fine." I'm surprised I even got the words out. I'm not fine. But I couldn't place my burdens on a little girl like Riley. "Let's go to school?" She nods and I grab her little hand and help her off of the chair.

I call a taxi, because I still haven't gotten my car. I should probably do that soon.

We get to the school and I tell the taxi driver to just wait there for a second while I take Riley to class. I walk in and Claire gasps.

"Finally on time? What a surprise!"

"I'm not in the mood, Claire." I sit Riley down and kiss her forehead. "I love you, sweetheart."

"Love you." I leave the building and to my surprise see a familiar car parked out on the lot. The same car I saw last night. But the most surprising thing is the familiar man in the parking lot. The same person I went to see in the middle of the night. Theo.

Of course he had to come.

No.

Of course he had to come looking like that.

I quickly walk to the taxi, wanting to avoid all conflict,"Aaliyah!" The scene from last night plays in my head in slow motion. The car moving by, our eyes meeting, the girl in the passenger seat. I don't stop walking. My feet won't let me.

I get in the taxi. "Just drive." He leaves the parking lot and I see Theo slowly shrinking in the rear view mirror. I tell the taxi driver where to take me.

He drops me off and I quickly check myself in the reflection of the mirrored building.

I walk in and they scan my card. "On time? Wow." Everyone makes it seem like I'm always late for everything, like I've never been here when I was supposed to be at least a couple of times.

I walk into the room and prepare everything. And then I just wait. And wait, and wait, and wait. And then the door opens, and a brown haired boy walks in.

"Hi. I'm Josh Hutcherson. You must be Aaliyah Carter." I shake his hand, hoping that my hand isn't clammy.

"Yeah, that's me. Nice to meet you." He kisses my hand, and I blush. Hard. He's very handsome.

"Very nice to meet you as well." I smile.

"Sit down. Do you need anything before we start?" He shakes his head.

"Not that I know of." I nod and get my notepad ready, then turn on the recorder.

"So, how do you like shooting The Hunger Games?" He immediately smiles.

"It's been an amazing experience. I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity. The people make it easy to  love it." I scribble down words on my notepad.

"Are you and Jennifer involved?" He laughs and shakes his head. This is the only question people care about, so I have to ask it every single time.

"We only have a thing in the movies. I don't plan on having a thing either." For some reason this reminds me of Theo. Is it because he said the exact thing about Shailene? When very well, she might have been the girl in his car.

I look on the counter and see a magazine that has me on it. Theo and I are standing side by side smiling at each other. The header reads,"Is Theo James just trying to be nice?" My throat burns.

Focus.

"What inspired you to act?" My voice shakes. He starts talking, but all I hear is a muffled voice. The muffled voice stops and I hear my heart pounding louder and louder.

This is your job.

I don't know why it's so hard to focus. I rub my head and stand up, feeling light headed, barely able to breathe. My head pounds and I feel an arm go around my waist. The room spins and I fall, but I don't feel anything. I know I fall because I see the ground getting closer and closer.

And then everything goes black.