Chapter 17

Aaliyah~

I sit in my car and turn the engine on. Should I really be doing this? Maybe I should call Theo.

No. I don't want him to worry about anything. I look at my house one last time before backing out of the driveway. I head down the street. It's about a 25 minute drive to the Weston's. I look at the clock again.

9:39

Hopefully I can make it.

I don't know why he wants me there. I don't even know why I'm going. It feels like a magnetic pull, forcing my foot down in the pedal. I've got a daughter at home and-I forgot.

I rip my phone out from my pocket and dial the house number. It rings several times, causing anxiety to race through me.

"Pick up, pick up." I hear a click and an old voice comes over the phone.

"Hello?" I sigh in relief. Hoping that my mother will understand, but it's not likely. Even after the way she was acting at the hospital.

"Mom? I have a favor to ask of you."

"What is it?" I hesitate. What do I tell her? I can't just tell her that I'm going to meet a mysterious guy. She'll freak out on me, never letting me hear the end of it.

"I have one more errand to run. I won't be too long, if that's alright with you." It's not like she has any other choice than to stay there.

"That's fine. But you've been gone all day long." I hang up before she can say anymore. I try to smile, but for some reason, my lips are sealed in a straight line.

I run a shaking hand through my hair. Why can't I just turn around? It's not like he knows where I live. He doesn't know where to find me. I don't even know what I'm risking by doing this. But for some reason, my hands won't allow me to turn the car around. My body refuses. Instead, it keeps driving towards the Weston's.

I breathe in, and I exhale heavily. I have nothing to worry about. Nothing to worry about. I'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen?

I see the Weston's house just down the street and I pull out my phone. My gut decides that I need to call Theo. I dial his number and hold the phone up to my ear. My hand shakes.

"Hello?" His voice calms me down immediately.

"Theo." My voice cracks and quivers. Not what I was hoping for.

"Aaliyah? Are you alright?" I grind my teeth together, trying to find the right words.

"I-" Before I know it my car is being toppled over and someone else's scream fills my ears. The screaming doesn't stop.

It's me.

It takes me a minute to realize the blood curdling scream is coming from my body. It's a sound I've never heard myself make. A horrifying sound.

The windows break, the air bags go off, and everything seems to be going in slow motion. I lose my breath. The wind is knocked out of me, and I can barely breathe. My head starts to pound and everything seems so surreal. The car stops rolling. I can hear the glass falling, and sudden pain shoots up my arm. My eyes start to close, and before I know it, I can hear sirens wailing. I can feel my body being pulled out of the car, but I can't see. I can't open my eyes.

And then I lose all of my senses, and fall into darkness.

~

I wake up, squinting and I run a hand through my hair. A cord pulls my arm and my eyes adjust to the light. I'm in the hospital. Again.

A bandage runs around my arm and I hear people mumbling outside of the door, their voices making me feel dizzy.

I rub my neck and the door opens. Theo walks in with Riley in his arms. Both of their faces are stained with tears. Theo's eyes are puffy, and red.

"Mommy!" She jumps on top of me, and my leg starts to burn with pain. I scrunch my face up, and hold back a scream.

"Be careful, Riley. Mommy is hurt, alright? And I'm going to need you to take extra good care of her." She nods, and Theo sets her down at my side.

He sits by the chair next to me, and grabs my hand. He rubs circles around my palm and I sigh.

"What.. what happened?" Theo's eyes flicker down to our entangled hands, and he bites his trembling lip.

"You called me. You sounded scared. And then I heard a crash, and you started screaming. Then, the line went dead. The ambulance and police arrived, but there was no sign of anyone there who might have hit you. You sprained your leg, and the doctors gave you stitches in your arm, where glass had fallen. They said that you'll be alright. You scared me, love. I thought you.. I-" I grab his face. A tear falls down his face and I wipe it away.

"It's okay. I'm here. I'm okay. That's what matters." He nods and kisses my hand. I turn to Riley. "How's my beautiful little girl doing?" She squeals and pulls out a paper from her pocket.

"Look mommy! I drew this picture in school. It's of me, and Ms. Claire's friend." I unwrap the paper, and sure enough, Riley stands holding Tyler's hand. I smile. Or at least try to look happy for her.

"It's beautiful, baby girl!" She smiles widely, and gives me a hug. I know she has no idea what's going on. But I just wish that she knew. I couldn't tell her. She wouldn't understand.

Tyler doesn't affect the way I live anymore. He doesn't make me cry. He doesn't make me sad. Theo filled more than just the hole he left. All Tyler makes me feel is frustration, and anger. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The doctor walks in and tells me I'll have to stay for at least another day, if not less. But I can leave once they get some more tests done.

I wonder what would've happened if I made it to the Weston's. I have to tell Theo. He deserves to know. Our relationship just started and I can't just keep secrets from him.

I hold Riley in silence. I close my eyes ready to fall asleep, but the door swings open, loudly.

My mom walks in and I look at Theo and back to her, I coat my voice with enthusiasm, although my body aches all over.

"Mom! Hi! Can you take Riley to the bathroom?" My voice is weak as I try to sound energetic. Riley opens her arms out to her.

"I just got-"

"Thank you!" She walks out, making sure she glares at me in the process. She closes the door and I squeeze Theo's hands. His eyes are laced with worry.

"Theo.. I need to tell you something."