Prologue

Stumbling out of the tavern, Lord Thomas Lockhart made his way towards his carriage. In his drunken state, he did not notice that the coachman in the driver's seat was not his own.

"Take me home, Jeffrey," he slurred.

"Of course, my lord," the false coachman replied.

When the carriage began to move, Lord Thomas slumped in his seat and began to drift in and out of conciousness. Not once did he notice his driver heading in a deserted area or the fact that his carriage was chained shut. He also did not notice that they were headed down a steep slope and that the coachman had freed the horses so that only the carriage was hurtling down to his death.

He did notice, however, how uncomfortable the ride had become and peeked out the window. Lord Thomas managed to see his coachman jump off the carriage to safety on the ground. He was going to die, he realised with panic. As his last act of goodwill, he prayed his brother would not endure the same fate.

***********************

The cochman posing as Jeffrey watched as the carriage hit a rock and rolled over and crashed. Lord Thomas Lockhart was surely dead. His brother, Andrew, would be much harder to get rid of after this but he was up to the challenge. It was time he got rid of those blasted Lockharts.