Chapter 14

Chapter 14

For the entire afternoon, James had been spying on the Smiths. After noting that neither family member stepped out for even a breath of fresh air, he had decided to head back home.

He sighed and patted Hunter's head, staring at the orange flames in the hearth. He was so close and yet, something told him he wasn't - like there was a player in this game that he hadn't noticed. If the jealous suitor was indeed the one who killed Thomas, why would he want Andrew dead as well? Unless it wasn't the same person...

James growled in frustration, startling his little beagle that had been comfortably lying on his lap.

"Sorry, Hunter,'' he appologised. "I'm just so frustrated with this whole mystery. I know I'd wanted a challenge from all the trivial things I used to do for my clients like recovering stolen jewellery or spying on unfaithful spouses but... I'm at a loss. The killer now wants Andrew dead and even though it may be the suitor who does not wish his identity to be exposed, Mr Stanhope would gain the title after Andrew's death. Then again, it may have been neither of these two but someone who holds a grudge against the Lockharts.''

Hunter wimpered and James stroked his dog's head. If only he could use his heightened sense of smell to sniff out the culprit. But alas, he could not allow Hunter to run around London sniffing people. Unfortunately.

"Master Knight,'' his butler called. ''There is a young lady here for you,''

James didn't have time to think before a dishevelled Jasmine frantically made her way into his study. Her hair was a mess and her slippers were soiled as she lifted her muddied skirts. Her face was blotchy and her eyes bloodshot from the tears she'd shed.

What in heaven's name had happened at Lady Dashwood's ball?

"I... didn't mean to... to call on you so late, Mr Knight,'' she was holding back sobs now. ''But Andrew's been shot.''

*******

Jasmine had helped Andrew into Mr Fulham's house with Jeffrey's assistance. After Mrs Fulham had helped her clean up her blood-stained hands, she found Mr Fulham stitching up Andrew's wound and it was then that the intensity of the situation dawned on her. He'd been shot! Jasmine broke into tears and Mrs Fulham tried to comfort he as her husband worked.

When the physician was finished, Andrew had passed out. Jasmine was still shaky from the ordeal and had just stared at Andrew's now pale face as he breathed. She said a silent prayer for him and prayed that God would grant her strength. She needed to be strong for Andrew. That was when she decided to find James Knight. They needed to solve this case quickly.

Informing the couple that she'd return soon, she asked Jeffrey to drive to Mr Knight's home. She prayed desperately that he would know what to do. And that somehow, he'd have a clue.

That was how she'd ended up in his study and by the look on his face, he couldn't believe what she had just told him.

"WHAT?" James stood abruptly from his chair, dropping poor Hunter.

"We were shot at during the ball,'' she said, ''Jeffrey and I took him to the Fulhams but he's unconcious. Oh, Mr Knight it was just awful.''

James made his way towards her and grasped her elbow. ''Do you wish me to escort you back?''

"I don't know," she let out a ragged breath. "I thought perhaps you would come up with something.''

She could tell he was thinking about whether or not to say something when he frowned. "I would of course go back to Lady Dashwood's Estate to investigate but I need to know whether I should escort you home or to the Fulhams. It is not wise for a young lady such as yourself to be riding alone at night.''

Jasmine couldn't even believe she was in such a situation. But James was right.

"I wish to go home,'' she murmured. "I want to go back but I'm sure my family is worried about me.''

Leading her to Andrew's carriage, James wondered who would be stupid enough to shoot people at a ball. Well, he'd just have to find out. When he'd helped Jasmine inside the carriage, he was just about to step in when a little furry animal beat him to it, its tongue lolling out.

"Hunter, out!'' he commanded his dog.

Hunter hopped onto Jasmine's lap and yawned loudly, making himself comfortable. 

''I think he wants to come with us,'' Jasmine said, stroking Hunter's back.

James sat across from her and tried to ignore how satisfied his dog looked.

On the journey to her manor, James had asked her where exactly she had been when she and Andrew had been shot at.Then if she knew anything more about Cordelia to which she had said no. People didn't seem to know much about the Smiths and that just made it all the more frustrating.

Arriving at her manor, Jasmine bid James goodbye and asked him to  check on Andrew for her. Just as she walked up the front door, she was bombarded by her little brother and sister.

''Oh, Jasmine,'' Juliet sobbed. "When mother returned without you and said there was a shooting... I feared the worst,''

"I missed you, Jasmine,'' Jasper clung to her leg, crying.

''Jasmine?'' the deep baritone of her father was unmistakable. He rushed to her and enveloped her in a hug and kissed her temple. "We were all worried sick about you,''

Then, her sobbing mother and grandmother joined in afterwards. Surprisingly, Charlotte, Rosaline and thier father were around too. Even Louisa, Jasmine's ladies maid hugged her.

She knew she couldn't keep any secrets from her family and two best friends. So, wiping away fresh tears she hadn't realised she'd shed, she told them everything.

*************************

James looked around Lady Dashwood's garden around the area Jasmine had said they'd been shot at. His faithful hound following him with his nose taking in all scents.

Lady Dashwood had bawled her eyes out saying her perfect evening had been ruined by that monster. She had even insulted the man with such colourful words James didn't know women were aware of.

The way James saw it, the killer was becoming impatient and wanted to get rid of Andrew quickly. Which meant he'd have to hurry before anything worse happened.

Hunter barked wildly at a tree and upon closer inspection, there was a visible set of footprints. James looked around. It was the perfect spot to hide, and with the broken lantern that caused the fire as Jasmine told him, no one would notice a man crouching behind a tree, seeking his victims.

But the footprints were only proof of a man having been here. He needed more evidence. Just as he was turning away, Hunter barked again. This time, it was a strip of cloth hanging from one of the tree's branches. The killer must have been in a hurry to get away that he accidentally tore away a piece of his waistcoat. In the moonlight, it appeared to be a pale colour. And from what Lady Dashwood had told him, all the male guests were required to wear black evening dress.

"Good, boy,'' he rubbed Hunter's head and held up the shred of clothing. Maybe society would excuse him for running around with an unleaded dog for the sake of solving a mystery.

Nah.

He decided he was done for the night and would return at daylight. For now, he was off to check on Andrew.

At least he knew one thing: the killer wasn't invited to Lady Dashwood's party.

***************************