Chapter 13

• Dedicated to my amazing followers

Chapter 13

 Lady Dashwood couldn't have hosted a more perfect outdoor ball. Lanterns were lit and gave the gardens a magical glow and the light of the full moon shone brightly on the dancers. It was every romantic's dream to be invited to such a spectacular event and Jasmine just happened to be one of those romantics.

She'd had a marvellous time so far with her dance partners and had a few laughs and with her friends but she couldn't help but think of a certain earl who had promised her the last dance. It would make the night complete and as she glanced up at the moon, she realised just how it made the entire night seem like a dream. 

She had marvelled at all the decorations, especially the arched entrance into the maze. The way the roses twisted around it and gave it more life - she just had to paint it. She also wondered what the centre of the maze held.

''Oh, Jasmine,'' a familiar golden-haired woman sighed in relief. It had to have been Charlotte as Rosaline would never wear such a fine, flashy red gown.

''Whatever is the matter, Charlotte?'' Jasmine asked her friend.

''No, no, it is I, Rosaline. And that is what the matter is. Charlotte asked me to come in her place because she did not wish to meet her betrothed.''

''What?'' Jasmine could not believe Charlotte would not want to meet her betrothed herself.

''She'd heard he was coming to this particular ball and he would only be in London a few days until he heads back to Bath. But you must help me Jasmine,'' Rosaline pleaded. ''I've forgotten his last name and all I know is that his given name is Damian.''

''What do you wish me to do?''

''Please speak for me, you know how I am without Charlotte by my side.''

''Oh alright," Jasmine didn't understand the twins sometimes.

"May I request a dance from either of you ladies?" a man walked up to them and asked.

Rosaline froze and stared at the man standing in front of them. His red hair neatly combed and his evening dress - though a slightly large on his skinny frame - was pressed to perfection.

"Of course," Jasmine agreed. "I am Lady Jasmine Winters and this is my friend, R-Charlotte Martin."

The man's eyes widened as he faced Rosaline. "Are you my intended?''

"Damian?" she gasped.

"Yes, I am Damian Lawrence. And I must say, Miss Martin, I look forward to our dance.''

Rosaline nodded once.

"I'll just... wait by the refreshments table.'' Jasmine said, leaving Rosaline to her fate.

She went straight for the chocolate muffin in her sight and gobbled it down instantly. Chocolate was a dear friend of hers.

"My, my, Jasmine," an all-to-familiar voice drawled behind her. "I didn't think you would abandon all etiquette just because we're outdoors,"

She spun around and looked into the eyes of Andrew Lockhart. Her heartbeat skyrocketing.

Be still, traitorous heart.

"Andrew,'' she didn't have any excuse for being caught acting unladylike.

"I believe you owe me a dance," he said, holding out his hand.

"I thought you wanted it to be the last dance.''

"I still do. But I still would prefer one now."